Family Of Philando Castile Awarded $3 Million Settlement
Finally some good news for the family of Philando Castile. Just a week after ex-officer Jeronimo Yanez was acquitted on June 16 of second-degree manslaughter and two counts of intentional discharge of a firearm, it was announced that the family has reached a $3 million settlement with the city of St. Anthony, Minnesota.
“The death of Philando Castile is a tragedy for his family and for our community,” said a statement from the city and lawyers for the family. “The parties moved expeditiously to resolve potential civil claims resulting from this tragedy in order to allow the process of healing to move forward for the Castile family, for the people of St. Anthony Village, and for all those impacted by the death of Philando Castile throughout the United States.”
Castile was killed last year on July 6 during a traffic stop, and his girlfriend streamed the shooting’s aftermath on Facebook Live.
Last week, new dash cam footage of the murder was released and it’s apparent that Castile was completely cooperating with the officer, alerting him to the fact that he had a firearm, but was still shot 7 times.
Yanez testified at his trial that Castile put his hand on his firearm, not his wallet or identification papers, and was pulling the gun from his pocket. “I didn’t want to shoot Mr. Castile,” Yanez said. “That wasn’t my intention. I thought I was going to die.”
Yanez is no longer on the police force.