Connect with us

Netflix has got folks all in their feelings. On Wednesday it was announced that the network was cancelling their popular series The Get Down and peeps on Twitter had all kinds of  jabs and jokes about the decision.

“The Get Down had representation, compelling & complex characters, phenomenal music. This is a sad day for television,” wrote one user.

Another posted a hilarious gif of coach Doc Rivers about to get in a fight with the caption, “Son Netflix canceled the get down.”

Others, however, were up in arms that the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why got renewed for a second season, but The Get Down didn’t.

The move is certainly odd, given that Netflix shows don’t usually get canceled before the second season. The network just aired part 2 of Season 1 (the season was split due to production delays), and plenty believed that a Season 2 was a no-brainer.

The hip-hop-themed drama, set in the South Bronx section of New York City in the late 1970s, was among Netflix’s most expensive shows, with the 12-episode first season costing about $120 million.

Director Baz Luhrman posted a message on his Facebook page to fans who have been in a tizzy about the cancellation news. Apparently he believes the shows expensive budget and his lack of commitment to the series may have led to its demise.

“When I was asked to come to the center of The Get Down to help realize it, I had to defer a film directing commitment for at least two years. This exclusivity has understandably become a sticking point for Netflix and Sony, who have been tremendous partners and supporters of the show. It kills me that I can’t split myself into two and make myself available to both productions. I feel so deeply connected to all those who I have worked and collaborated with on this remarkable experience.

All sorts of things have been thrown around for the future… even a stage show (can you imagine that? I can, concert version anyone? Next summer? Just saying.) But the simple truth is, I make movies. And the thing with movies is, that when you direct them, there can be nothing else in your life. Since The Get Down stopped, I have actually been spending the last few months preparing my new cinematic work…”

Later in the statement he said: “As for the real future of the show, the spirit of The Get Down, and the story it has begun to tell… it has its own life. One that lives on today and will continue to be told somewhere, somehow, because of you, the fans and the supporters.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

EXCLUSIVES

Reports: Mariah Carey Signs With Jay Z’s RocNation

Published

on

We know Mariah Carey changes managers like she changes clothes, but her next move could be her best move. According to Page Six Carey is in talks with Jay Z’s Roc Nation to manage her career.

Roc Nation manages Rihanna, Shakira, J Cole and DJ Khaled to name a few.

Apparently, the pop diva is hoping Hov and his team can put her back on top now that she parted ways with former manager Stella Bulochnikov earlier this month.

Sources tell HipHollywood Carey is cleaning house, and has also fired her publicist, assistant and attorney Darrell Miller.

But one person who hasn’t gotten the boot is her back-up dancer boyfriend Bryan Tanaka. Rumors were swirling that she hired Tanaka to take over her day-to-day management, but he’s actually her creative director.

Carey just released her holiday movie Mariah Carey’s All I Want For Christmas Is You, and is slated to bring her Christmas concerts back to the Beacon Theater in NYC this month. She hasn’t however dropped a new album in almost four years.

Fingers crossed this new partnership with Roc Nation brings about new music, and a Mariah / Jay Z collaboration. The two did make magic back in 1999 with their #1 single “Heartbreaker.”

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: