Ben Carson released a statement on Monday night after being completely dragged, attacked and berated for insinuating that slaves were immigrants who wanted a better life.
In a lengthy Facebook post, the Secretary for Department of Housing and Urban Development not only clarified his comments, but then decided to give a full historical account about slavery — a topic he clearly had zero knowledge about while addressing employees of the department earlier in the day.
“I’m proud of the courage and perseverance of Black Americans and their incomprehensible struggle from slavery to freedom. I’m proud that our ancestors overcame the evil and repression that we know as slavery,” he wrote.
He explained, “The slave narrative and immigrant narrative are two entirely different experiences. Slaves were ripped from their families and their homes and forced against their will after being sold into slavery by slave traders.”
“The Immigrants made the choice to come to America. They saw this country as a land of opportunity. In contrast, slaves were forced here against their will and lost all their opportunities. We continue to live with that legacy,” Carson wrote.
He continued, “The two experiences should never be intertwined, nor forgotten, as we demand the necessary progress towards an America that’s inclusive and provides access to equal opportunity for all.”
The politician concluded, “We should revel in the fact that although we got here through different routes, we have many things in common now that should unite us in our mission to have a land where there is liberty and justice for all.”
What he didn’t do, however, was apologize for how his remarks were taken.
In case you missed it, the neurosurgeon said on Monday morning: “There were other immigrants who came in the bottom of slave ships, who worked even longer, even harder, for less, but they too had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”
No Joke: Bill Cosby Is Back On Stage Doing Stand-Up
We are not trying to shame the elderly, but we are super confused why Bill Cosby is back on stage doing stand-up. He is after all 80-years old and going blind, but apparently that’s all apart of his routine.
Cosby did a set on Monday at LaRose Jazz Club in Philly and poked fun at his visual impairment amongst other personal anecdotes. He didn’t touch his pending trial, but many suspect his resurgence into the public eye is all a ploy to revitalize his image.
Just two weeks ago Cosby attended a dinner with friends and let reporters tag along to ask questions and take photos. This time around Cosby announced on his Facebook that he’d be doing a set a couple hours before. He wore a sweatshirt that said “hello friend” and also played the drums alongside the Tony Williams Jazz Quartet.
Folks in the audience are laughing … so maybe it’s working.
The disgraced comedian’s retrial on sexual assault charges is set to begin in April, and a new jury selection begins at the end of March. He averted a decision this past June when a jury couldn’t agree on a verdict … ending in a mistrial.
MUSIC6 days ago
The Real Reason Jason Derulo Is Out Here Teaching Zumba Class
MOVIES5 days ago
Mo’Nique Calls For Netflix Boycott After Being Offered Less Than Dave Chappelle & Amy Schumer
NEWS6 days ago
Gabrielle Union Makes A ‘Bad Boys’ Spinoff Happen Without Will Or Martin
MUSIC2 days ago
Remy Ma And Chris Brown Team Up To Celebrate Black Women
EXCLUSIVES4 days ago
Netflix’s ‘Step Sisters’ Is ‘Bring It On’ … But Way More Woke!
NEWS5 days ago
Kim Kardashian Savagely Claps Back At Lamar Odom Over Khloe Diss
EXCLUSIVES6 days ago
Exclusive: Sorry, Folks, Diddy Did NOT Offer H&M Model A Contract
NEWS5 days ago
Ja Rule Just Called “Tickle Booty” 50 Cent A “Pu$$y” In New Heated Twitter Tirade