The 23rd Annual SAG Awards have concluded but the words shared by several Hollywood celebrities tonight will be making headlines in the hours and days to come. Michelle Obama’s now endearing message, “When they go low, we go high,” seemed to be the theme of the night with A-listers calling on Americans and others to be more inclusive and kind to one another. It was a much different tone than previous award shows where celebs used network broadcasts to fire shots at the Trump administration over its divisive policies and incendiary rhetoric.
Before we give too much away, here are our five most memorable moments from tonight’s show and yes, there is some Black Girl Magic sprinkled in there. Make sure to check back later for our complete video coverage of the 2017 SAG Awards.
1. Actor Ashton Kutcher opening the show by shouting out any of the immigrants or refugees currently being detained at airports across the United States. “Good evening, fellow SAG-AFTRA members, and everyone at home, and everyone in airports that belong in my America,” he said to a supportive crowd. “You are a part of the fabric of who we are. And we love you and we welcome you.”
2. Mahershala Ali getting political without being divisive during his acceptance speech for his role in Moonlight. The actor called for more understanding and compassion from people of all walks of life, sharing an anecdote about telling his Christian mother about converting to Islam.
3. The cast of Hidden Figures putting Black Girl Magic on full display, reminding us all in the process that “Yes, We Can” is more than a colloquialism. The film took home the award for Best Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, which was almost as awesome as Taraji Henson photobombing costar Octavia Spencer backstage.
4. Viola Davis brought Hollywood up-to-date on the era we’re living in, calling for more inclusion while simulatenously noting that we’re no longer residing in the days of “The Brady Bunch.”
5. David Harbour of Stranger Things giving perhaps the most rousing and impassioned speech of the night about repelling bullies and sheltering the disenfranchised. He also talks about punching people in the face, but that’s a different story.
NEWS3 days ago
Ed Hartwell Gets Woman Pregnant While Married To Keshia Knight Pulliam
NEWS2 days ago
Tristan Thompson’s Side Chick, Lani Blair, Will Be Featured On This New Reality Show
EXCLUSIVES20 hours ago
Byron Scott’s Alleged Mistress AND Daughter-In-Law Join ‘Basketball Wives’
NEWS3 days ago
Why The Jackson Family Is Fearing For Paris Jackson’s Life