Happy Birthday Anita Baker, and welcome to the age of contentment. Today is the iconic singer’s 59th birthday and it comes as she finds herself in an age of peace: peace with her new home, peace with her new life, and most importantly, peace with the end of her career. Kevin Frazier spoke with Anita exclusively, and she put it plain and simple, she ain’t coming back. There won’t be a farewell tour or a goodbye album, the only thing on Anita Baker’s mind these days is her flip flops and Birkenstocks. Welcome to the age of contentment.

Anita Baker has spent the last 40 years, creating moments and music for millions, but this latest moment, is a concert for one. The retirement is real, not a break, not a ploy, not a vacation, as Anita put it, she’s off the hamster wheel and content. There’s that word again, content, contentment, she has found a space, and a place that fits, and she doesn’t feel the need to leave it.

Santa Monica, California is her new home now, and her only steady gig these days is a regular appointment with a cup of coffee and the beach. “This business will kill you if you don’t pay attention,” so Anita adds that consequently, she’s paying attention to her life. Her boys live nearby, they are grown and employed. They are also close enough for frequent visits from their mom, who loves to cook, and will even roll through to do some laundry. That’s Anita Bakers Sweet Love these days, a simple life, in what she calls, the perfect place.

“Turning 59 isn’t a death sentence, it’s a transition,” Anita told Kevin and part of that transition is letting go of many of the trappings or should we say necessities of fame. Hair and make-up is optional on most days, and she will never go under the knife to try and transform or hold on to the Anita Baker that we see in her videos from the 80’s and 90’s. If you’re looking for that lady, go to YouTube, because this woman is 100 percent comfortable in her 59-year-old skin. She loves Alicia Keyes no make-up movement because it puts the focus back on the artist, the music and not the aesthetics. “I see all these people who feel they have to walk around in their underwear with a hair dresser and a photographer to be a success”. And that kind of life never has, and never will, interest Anita Baker. “Nobodies telling me I have to get on a plane to go someplace” and thats exactly what makes her content.

Music will always be a part of Anita’s life and she still sings, and writes, it’s just not for public consumption. But here’s the thing, even as she walks away from the spotlight, her songs still remain relevant. Lalah Hathaway’s remake of Anita’s classic Angel is nominated for a Grammy this year, and that is the kind of musical success that brings Anita joy these days. Lalah’s live version is nominated in the Best Traditional R&B Performance category, 34 years after it was initially released. it’s the kind of thing that makes Anita smile at “wine o’clock” as she watches the sunset in Santa Monica and goes down the checklist of her life.

“Celebrate me, but don’t put me back to work” is Anita’s mantra, and if its any consolation, she is trying to figure out a way to say goodbye. She wants to do something to thank her fans, she just hasn’t figured out what it is. But all the talk about a farewell moment makes Anita think of Michael Jackson. “Michael died trying to fulfill the will of strangers.” And at times the tug to run and make money, play shows and record had Anita frayed and pulled in all directions. “My son asked me one day, Mama why are you running around so much,” and those were the words that made her start to examine her life. She moved to Atlanta, it didn’t fit, so she moved to Santa Monica. She quit the business and she slowed her life down to a crawl. Anita doesn’t even drive, doesn’t have a drivers license. If she needs to get someplace she calls an Uber or her boys pick her up. Yes there is a man in her life and she actually wouldn’t mind getting married again, but she is in no rush.

So happy birthday Anita Baker, sip that cup of coffee and smile as you sit on the beach. You’ve earned this moment and I promise, we won’t disturb your retirement. And if we see you, we will wave, walk away and know, you’re all good. Welcome to the age of contentment Anita, it fits you well.

1. Sepp Herbert

January 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM

Anita, you will alway be a good singer you boddy of work is forevery one love Sepp.

2. Sepp Herbert

January 26, 2017 at 12:14 PM

Anita your work is forevery.

3. Sepp Herbert

January 26, 2017 at 12:15 PM

One love from Sepp Herbert

4. Robert Sweet

January 26, 2017 at 4:01 PM

Oh no. I had hoped to see Anita at least one more time. Her music in the 80s helped to realize my life was worth living. I was horribly addicted to Alcohol and her music helped to keep me sober. Her smooth voice comforted me daily. I cried when she entered the stage in Boston on her “one night of rapture” Tour, and I saw her 3 more times here. Bless you Anita Baker for helping me. I will always love you.

5. Tashanakingston

January 26, 2017 at 4:40 PM

Happybirthday

6. Punkin Hunter

January 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM

Congratulations Miss Anita Baker!!! You willalways remain my idol and I will enjoy your music continuously. Thank you and enjoy your retirement! Love You.

7. Rose Howard

January 26, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Happy belated birthday anita i love you baby songstress is my world and congrats on your retirement Amen stand up and enjoy life:best wishes

8. A F

January 26, 2017 at 11:42 PM

Anita takes wisdom to know when your life is important and I’m happy for you I am a fan always have been I love your voice and the songs you sing God bless you and continue to increase your life the things in life that are pleasing is having a relationship with him God

9. Tabitha

January 27, 2017 at 8:07 AM

Hello Oh how I love you. Take your break for a well accomplished years of great music. My playlists is full of Anita hits and will forever be embbed in me. Love you girl Retire and be glad in it.

10. Monica

January 27, 2017 at 9:06 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL ENJOY ENJOY UR RETIREMENT WE HAVE ENOUGH OF UR SWEET LOVE SONG TO KEEP US GOING DRINK COFFEE ENJOY THE BEACH BEACH

11. Kimberly Jackson

January 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM

You Will certainly be Missed. Just recently I started listening to Kenny Latimore; and I said to someone I wished that you’ll would have done an album together. Your voices are so much alike ( singing) Enjoy Your Life Ms. Baker. And as the previous lyrics of your song say… ” I LOVE YOU JUST BECAUSE” I wish You Well, With Love❤❤❤❤

12. La Toya

January 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Ms. Anita Baker, I’ve been a BIG FAN of yours for 30yrs. I will miss you having a new song. HAPPY BIRTHDAY & GOD BLESS YOU!

13. v. Salaam

January 27, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Anita, spoken like a true Aquarian. I am glad your peace is still. Enjoy.

14. Priscilla Harris

January 28, 2017 at 4:20 AM

So happy for and proud of you Anita and you got it right we all deserve at some point a me time. This is your time so enjoy it. I’ve heard about those beautiful beach sun rises and sets. Next time your sitting on the beach with your cup of coffee and you see that sun come up, know fans like me are still forever applauding Thank you your music has made such a profound impact on me and so many others. You don’t even know my name but girl, you have helped me through some heart breaks, love obsticals, and put things in perspective. You have worked hard and contributed so much. It is quite alright to do you, “Me time”.

15. Cleo

January 28, 2017 at 6:30 AM

You wrote-“If your looking for that lady, go to… “.

Your use of “your” is incorrect. It’s “you’re” the contraction for “you are”. Not “your” as in “your article”.

Hope that helps.

16. Edison eloi

February 2, 2017 at 4:51 PM

Your music will always be impregnated in me , be happy my angel.

17. cherlyn cooper

February 12, 2017 at 12:53 PM

Anita your legacy will always be forever I am a true Fan of yours and will always be but I do respect what you’re doing I myself just turned 60 and I must say I feel better than I have ever felt and I am concentrating on what makes me happy not looking back ! Wishing you all the very best in the future! Cherlyn Cooper

18. Mary

May 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM

I will truly miss you but I will
    always listen to your songs you are my idol, no one in the world can tell you who to be but yourself. Love you dearly ♥️