Eddie Huang Claps Back At Steve Harvey Over Asian Jokes

By  |

Comedian Steve Harvey is continuing to face backlash over offensive comments he made about Asian men during a recent episode of his daytime talk show. During that program, Harvey joked that women have absolutely zero interest in dating Asian men … because … well, they’re Asian.

Restaurateur Eddie Huang, like so many others, took exception to Harvey’s joke and responded by penning an op-ed for The New York Times. In it, he questions Harvey’s decision as a Black man to ridicule another group because of their ethnicity or origins.

“That’s why this Steve Harvey episode is so upsetting. He speaks openly about issues facing the black community, he is a man of God, and he has a huge platform to speak from. Unfortunately, he’s also the type of guy who orders Krug champagne for himself and Cook’s for every one else. For his own personal profit, he’s willing to perpetuate the emasculation of Asian men regardless of how hypocritical it is. He isn’t the only one doing this in 2017, but as I told myself on New Year’s, I’m not drinking anymore of this Cook’s they’re trying to pour, and neither should you.”

You can read more of Huang’s thoughts here.

1. Ken

January 16, 2017 at 10:56 AM

I want to thank Eddie Huang for his defense of Asian men and his objection to Steve Harvey’s racist remarks. Steve was shockingly offensive and I am now a former fan. I am a white man married to an American-Born Asian woman and we have two sons who suffer from these kinds of unkind stereotypes.
    we never use the N word and have great respect fro all our fellow humans of every race. Apparently some deserve it less than others.

2. Ken Flood

January 16, 2017 at 10:58 AM

Thank you Eddie Huang for setting Steve Harvey straight. He should be ashamed

3. Mike Magill

January 16, 2017 at 4:11 PM

Ruben Young: Again with all due respect, Eddie has run into trouble time and time again for cultural appropriation and for dogging black woman while regularly mocking Asian steotypes. You want to say that what Steve did was wrong, fine but being called out by a dude who has made a name for himself by being anything but Asian is a joke. Also mr Huang ain’t cooking ish these days. I was there for “Bao” when he Had the potential to build a culinary empire but he was too busy selling weed for rep and instagramming pictures of himself with gold fronts to actually keep his place open. This dude has no right to lecture anyone. As for his show, he left the show because the show is weak. Eddie was all too quick to sell the rights for what I’m sure was a nice paycheck but He clearly didn’t bother to find out what producers were planning on doing with his story. I can only guess that he could give an ish as long as he got paid. Now he can step back and say that his vision was high jacked by greedy, racist TV producers but I think we all know that he could care less because In the end, the show is pretty terrible. So don’t tell me about the noble Edfie Huang because here in NYC. We know Edfie and we know that he is full of ish.

4. Katrina N. Bailey

January 16, 2017 at 4:24 PM

I’m married to an Asian man.

5. SteveHarveyRulesAsiansDrool

January 16, 2017 at 5:46 PM

Aww is whats the matter Asians, is Sum Ting Wong?

6. joe Love

January 17, 2017 at 6:25 AM

He’s a comic!! Ppl gonna say things to get folks to “laugh”,..but WILL piss someone off!! Sadly,…this WON’T be the last time either,…at the end of the day,…he’ll STILL be “Rich and Powerful” and you’ll ALL just be PISSED,…so,…”Get over it” (As a Black man,….what “Chump” is gonna put blacks and other races thru) THIS is just a man tryin to make a joke,….CHUMP is gonna RUIN LIVES!!!! See the difference,……one’s just “words”,…the other is “Hateful/Harming actions”!!! smh

7. DEE1

January 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Comedy has no boundaries folks!
    EVERY comedian does RACE jokes,
    I don’t care what race you are if you are in the audience or not,
    you will get RAKED!

8. Mimosa Please

January 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM

Hey, I drink Cooks, don’t dog me.

Mimosa Please

9. Carlos L Nieves

January 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM

i never thought he was funny ,, ever,,

10. Carlos L Nieves

January 17, 2017 at 9:18 PM

i never thought he was funny at all,, the least Colombian comedian would kill him in less than a minute ,,