Connect with us

During the start of the 2016 NFL season, a handful of players stood behind 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and protested the National Anthem by kneeling instead of standing.

Kaepernick and players such as Denver Broncos star Brandon Marshall used their platform as a way to create change and fight for the social injustices and treatment of Black men in America.

Kaepernick stated earlier this season that he will not “stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

Marshall was in accord with his competitor … that is, until now.


On Sunday night, just before taking on the Oakland Raiders, the athlete honored the American Flag and stood for the Star Spangled Banner. Before the start of the game, Brandon took to Instagram to explain his actions.

“For the 1st half of the season, I’ve been taking a knee for the National Anthem to raise awareness for social injustice and to start conversation about what all of us can do to make a positive change,” he wrote. “I’m encouraged with the many productive discussions and progress that has taken place as the Denver Police department has decided to review its use of force policy.”


“I’m proud to have joined so many of my peers throughout sports who’ve also made their own statements. Going forward, I will be standing for the National Anthem,” he explained. “Not because everything is perfect, or because I’m changing my stance on things. But because of my hope for what we can become. Just because I am standing doesn’t mean the work will end. There’s much work to be done.”

The athlete explained, “I’ll continue to recognize and support organizations that are stepping up as leaders and making a real difference in our community, and I will do my part to be there for those in need.”

Marshall shared that an organization he will be supporting is the “Idriss Stelley Foundation, a grassroots organization in the Bay Area that offer free support to victims of police violence.”

He added, “I’ll be standing for them and the family of the late O’Shaine Evans—on Sunday night in addition to making a donation from my Tackle Change program to further the meaningful work of this group.”


Exclusive: The Bullet Scars That Will Forever Haunt Sheryl Lee Ralph’s Son, Etienne Maurice



Sheryl Lee Ralph shared a graphic photo on Instagram earlier this week of her son, Etienne Maurice, laying in a hospital bed bandaged up from bullet wounds. The purpose of the image was to be yet another voice calling to end gun violence.

On Wednesday, students across the country walked out of class to protest against gun violence, something that hit home for Ralph four years ago. “This mother wants #gunreform now! #guncontrol now,” she wrote.

It was during a night out in West Philadelphia that Ralph’s then 22-year-old child was robbed at gunpoint and shot three times; twice in the leg and one which grazed his forehead.

So as Ralph joined Wednesday’s national conversation about gun laws, HipHollywood talked exclusively with Etienne who shared exactly what went down the night a gun could have taken his life for good.

“I was shot four years ago, November 9 … I was black out drunk. The next thing I know I remember I woke up in the hospital, doctor said I had two bullet holes in my leg and a grazed bullet hole above my eyebrow.”

Maurice, who was robbed for his iPhone and his wallet, went on to tell us that this is something that he is reminded of constantly. “Having been shot is something that I carry with me every day. I still have numbness at the bottom of my leg from the nerve damage.”

And while he will always remember how he felt knowing his life almost ended, Etienne had a hard time fathoming how his famous mother felt. “We had the conversation about it last week and she said she peed on herself,” he told us.

For Maurice, he’s proud to see young children use their voices to make change. “There’s so many angles where we can talk about gun violence and how it’s effecting different communities,” he said. “Gun reform needs to take place now.”

Since that night, he hasn’t picked up a drink and has been now sober for four years. As for the suspects, a father-son duo, they are behind bars for attempted man slaughter.

Continue Reading


%d bloggers like this: