Lena Dunham is publicly apologizing to New York Giants star Odell Beckham Jr. for projecting her “insecurities” and ascribing “misogynistic thoughts” on the professional athlete.
Last week, Dunham recounted an encounter she had with Odell in her Lenny Letter newsletter. According to the actress, she was seated next to the athlete during the Met Ball; however, she felt like Beckham was aloof because of how she looked.
“(Odell) looked at me and he determined I was not the shape of a woman by his standards,” she wrote. “He literally was scrolling Instagram rather than have to look at a woman in a bow tie. I was like, ‘This should be called the Metropolitan Museum of Getting Rejected by Athletes.'”
After being berated on social media for her comments, Dunham issued an apology via Instagram over the weekend. “I owe Odell Beckham Jr an apology,” the 30-year-old wrote on Saturday. “Despite my moments of bravado, I struggle at industry events (and in life) with the sense that I don’t rep a certain standard of beauty and so when I show up to the Met Ball surrounded by models and swan-like actresses it’s hard not to feel like a sack of flaming garbage.”
The Girls creator continued, “This felt especially intense with a handsome athlete as my dinner companion and a bunch of women I was sure he’d rather be seated with. But I went ahead and projected these insecurities and made totally narcissistic assumptions about what he was thinking, then presented those assumptions as facts. I feel terrible about it.”
She added, “Because after listening to lots of valid criticism, I see how unfair it is to ascribe misogynistic thoughts to someone I don’t know AT ALL. Like, we have never met, I have no idea the kind of day he’s having or what his truth is. But most importantly, I would never intentionally contribute to a long and often violent history of the over-sexualization of black male bodies- as well as false accusations by white women towards black men. I’m so sorry, particularly to OBJ, who has every right to be on his cell phone. The fact is I don’t know about his state of mind (I don’t know a lot of things) and I shouldn’t have acted like I did.”
Exclusive: The Bullet Scars That Will Forever Haunt Sheryl Lee Ralph’s Son, Etienne Maurice
Sheryl Lee Ralph shared a graphic photo on Instagram earlier this week of her son, Etienne Maurice, laying in a hospital bed bandaged up from bullet wounds. The purpose of the image was to be yet another voice calling to end gun violence.
On Wednesday, students across the country walked out of class to protest against gun violence, something that hit home for Ralph four years ago. “This mother wants #gunreform now! #guncontrol now,” she wrote.
It was during a night out in West Philadelphia that Ralph’s then 22-year-old child was robbed at gunpoint and shot three times; twice in the leg and one which grazed his forehead.
So as Ralph joined Wednesday’s national conversation about gun laws, HipHollywood talked exclusively with Etienne who shared exactly what went down the night a gun could have taken his life for good.
“I was shot four years ago, November 9 … I was black out drunk. The next thing I know I remember I woke up in the hospital, doctor said I had two bullet holes in my leg and a grazed bullet hole above my eyebrow.”
Maurice, who was robbed for his iPhone and his wallet, went on to tell us that this is something that he is reminded of constantly. “Having been shot is something that I carry with me every day. I still have numbness at the bottom of my leg from the nerve damage.”
And while he will always remember how he felt knowing his life almost ended, Etienne had a hard time fathoming how his famous mother felt. “We had the conversation about it last week and she said she peed on herself,” he told us.
For Maurice, he’s proud to see young children use their voices to make change. “There’s so many angles where we can talk about gun violence and how it’s effecting different communities,” he said. “Gun reform needs to take place now.”
Since that night, he hasn’t picked up a drink and has been now sober for four years. As for the suspects, a father-son duo, they are behind bars for attempted man slaughter.
NEWS2 days ago
You Ok, Sis? Tamar Braxton Shaves Off All Her Hair And Fans Are Worried
EXCLUSIVES4 days ago
Loni Love Wants To Get Real With Mo’Nique
NEWS5 days ago
Oh Snap! Rickey Smiley Thinks Porsha Williams Is Wifey Material … Will It Come To Fruition?
MUSIC4 days ago
Chris Brown Is Thoroughly Confused By Bow Wow’s “Emotional” Message
EXCLUSIVES5 days ago
Exclusive: Birdman, Lil Wayne Nightclub Love Sesh Didn’t Change A Thing … Business Will Still Go On!
EXCLUSIVES4 days ago
Thanks, Instagram! Jada Pinkett-Smith Is Happy Hubby Will Has An Outlet For His Antics
MUSIC4 days ago
Shade & Shenanigans: ‘LHHATL’ Returns With Erica Mena Replacing Joseline + More Debauchery
NEWS3 days ago
Amber Rose “Frustrated” That Strippers Have Been Left Out Of The #MeToo Movement