Georgetown University is doing its part to atone for their participation in slave trading back in 1838. It was then that the university auctioned off nearly 272 slaves for $115,000, a move which helped fund the institution during a run of financial troubles.
Georgetown’s current president, John J. DeGioia, will offer a formal apology to descendants in a speech on Thursday. The university will also have two buildings on the campus renamed to honor slaves, create an institute for the study of slavery and erect a public memorial to honor slave contributions.
Another major move includes giving descendants the same consideration given to members of the Georgetown community in the admissions process.
Here is a full list and breakdown of the university’s plans:
- Naming Freedom Hall (once known as Mulledy Hall) as Isaac Hall, in honor of Isaac, the enslaved person whose name is the first mentioned in the documents of the 1838 sale
- Naming Remembrance Hall (once known as McSherry Hall) as Anne Marie Becraft Hall in honor of Anne Marie Becraft, a free woman of color who founded a school for black girls in the neighborhood of Georgetown in 1827. She later joined the newly founded Oblate Sisters of Providence in Baltimore, the oldest active Roman Catholic sisterhood in the Americas established by women of African descent.
- Offering an apology for the university’s historical relationship with slavery
- Engaging with the descendant community in an active and sustained manner
- Developing a public memorial to the enslaved to ensure their memory is honored and preserved
- Actively pursuing research and teaching, establishing a new Institute for the Study of Slavery and Its Legacies at Georgetown
The move has not been well-received by some, who say it’s simply not enough.
“We profited from selling your ancestors, so we’ll move you to the front of the line to pay us money.”
— Philip Bump (@pbump) September 1, 2016
What do you think? Should G-Town do more?
HBD Rihanna: 5 Times RiRi Proved She Could Werk Her Birthday Cakes
You already know it doesn’t have to be Rihanna’s birthday for her to shake her cakes. She does, after all, have a whole song dedicated to it. Fact is, the Bajan beauty can dip it, pop it, twerk it and dutty whine it, with the best of them. And, she does it so effortlessly. So today as we celebrate the “bad gal” turning the big 3-0, here’s 5 times she worked her ass(ets) off. Yes, all puns intended!
EXCLUSIVES7 days ago
Chadwick Boseman: ‘Black Panther’ Celebrates The Beauty Of Black Women
NEWS7 days ago
Video: Wendy Williams Almost Faints AGAIN; Cancels Shows For The Week … WTH Is Going On?
NEWS7 days ago
WTF Is Going On With Vincent Herbert’s Coins? He Owes 65k On His Rolls Royce
NEWS6 days ago
Surprise! Jada Pinkett Smith Celebrates Valentine’s Day With The Kardashians
MUSIC6 days ago
Could This News Send Kylie Jenner Running Back To Tyga?
FASHION5 days ago
Wakanda Wear: Folks Show Up & Show Out For ‘Black Panther’ Opening
NEWS5 days ago
Girl, Bye: Zendaya Says She Wasn’t Shading Blake Lively & Emily Blunt
NEWS5 days ago
Nipsey Hussle Sons Cardi B On Getting In The Gang Business: She Should Correct [Herself]