MOVIES

George Clooney Defends Will Smith, Idris Elba & Black Hollywood

By  |

Black Twitter and Jada Pinkett Smith aren’t the only ones who think the #OscarsSoWhite, even a White actor agrees. Academy Award-winner George Clooney just issued a scathing indictment, saying, “African Americans have a real fair point that the industry isn’t representing them well enough.”

“There were nominations left off the table,” Clooney shared in a statement to Variety. “There were four films this year: Creed could have gotten nominations; Concussion could have gotten Will Smith a nomination; Idris Elba could have been nominated for Beasts of No Nation; and Straight Outta Compton could have been nominated. And certainly last year, with Selma director Ava DuVernay — I think that it’s just ridiculous not to nominate her,” the A-lister fired off much to the delight of Ava.

“But honestly, there should be more opportunity than that. There should be 20 or 30 or 40 films of the quality that people would consider for the Oscars,” Clooney continued. “By the way, we’re talking about African Americans. For Hispanics, it’s even worse. We need to get better at this. We used to be better at it.”

“I think around 2004, certainly there were black nominees — like Don Cheadle, Morgan Freeman. And all of a sudden, you feel like we’re moving in the wrong direction,” he concluded.

While Clooney did stop short of calling for an Oscars boycott, Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Lee announced on Monday in separate social media postings that they would be skipping the big show.

1. Luigi Valentino

January 19, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Hey George, give back your Oscars in protest. Good, Jada! You ungrateful witch. You and Spike can stay home, eat BBQ ribs and watch BET. This stunt ruined your chances at ever being cast in Hollywood again. We’ll give your seat at the Oscars to someone more grateful for their Tinsel Town success. Let’s just hope your embarrassment doesn’t ruin your husband’s career too. Will Smith never got nominated for an Emmy for “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” but he always got a fat paycheck. He never cried and today he’s worth $260 Million thanks to Hollywood so STFU. Go stand up for a better cause like feeding hungry kids in Africa instead of your EGO!

• In My Opinion

January 19, 2016 at 10:07 PM

You racist stereotypical lowlife – one could counter why you won’t you put down your spaghetti and meatballs for brains and realize that no one has to settle for crumbs and be pacified by a paycheck. Minorities do not have to shuck and jive just to get along or accept mediocrity.

• Luigi Valentino

January 20, 2016 at 6:47 AM

“Mediocrity?” You’re kidding right? As for being racist, Jada needs to look into a mirror. She throws a viral tantrum, stirs up a bunch of “woe is me African Americans” like you, teams up with that has been troublemaker Spike Lee, embarrasses herself, her husband and the Acadamy just because Will Smith didn’t get nominated. How childish. So Will Smith didn’t get nominated this year, big deal, so didn’t a lot of other people. Asians? Latinos? Native Americans? Get over it Jada. Then she has the nerve to encourage other African Americans to boycott the ceremony as well? How selfish.

Chris Rock is under contract to host the Oscars. If he were to not show up, that would be stupider than burning a cross in his own front yard. Plus he loves hosting the show. Shame on Jada for even suggesting people boycott the Oscars. Whoopi Goldberg is the first person to jump on board “for the cause” but she made it clear that she will be in attendance (and Whoopi has no intensions of giving back her Oscar in protest). George Clooney suggests “Things need to go in a different direction,” but you don’t see him giving back his Oscars. I guarantee you he’ll be in attendance.

Jada is spitting in the faces that gave her everything she has today. For what? Insisting the Academy Awards be a participation award like the ones given to young soccer players or Special Olympics athletes? “You get an Oscar and You get an Oscar and YOU get an Oscar, YEA!”

When I said, “stay home, eat BBQ ribs and watch BET,” I was trying to illustrate how ridiculous Jada’s, all of the sudden, BLACK POWER movement attempt is. Please don’t feel sorry for Jada (or yourself…self pity is so ugly). You act like Jada’s been picking cotton on Hollywood Hills. She doesn’t even pick her own nose. She pays people like you to pick it for her.

I’m so sick and tired of people crying “Racist” “Bigot” “IslamoFAUXbe” when things don’t go their way. That’s life so get over it. I guarantee Jada has made a stupid mistake and she will regret it someday.

• In My Opinion

January 23, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Your mistake is assuming ANYTHING about me. You know NOTHING about me or my history. But why would you. You rely on stereotypes littered throughout the dissertation of a response you gave that is ridiculous. There is no self pity here. I work for everything I receive. Jada did not say boycott anything. She said do your own thing. But of course bandwagoners who do not listen but just comment will carry on the lies. So carry on with that. Most racists are sick and tired of being called racists, bigots, islamaphobe…who would enjoy..most cant handle the man in the mirror.

• Luigi Valentino

January 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM

I know if they don’t nominate Kevin Hart as Best Actor for “Ride Along 2” next year, you and Jada might cry “Racism” again. Also if your reading level was higher perhaps you’d be able to comprehend my dissertation better. Jada’s claims of oppression are just as ridiculous as the stereotypes I used.

• Linda J. Dickinson

January 19, 2016 at 10:28 PM

ASNH-=[‘< we have scored 91k dollars previous year working online and I am a full time student. I am attached with an online business entity that I heard about and I have earned such great cash. It is really user friendly and I feel myself lucky to have that option. Why not try this..;'[][';/.

➤➤