John Boyega wants folks unhappy with him starring in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens to know that he’s a “confident, Nigerian, Black, chocolate man” that’s proud of his heritage and not bothered by their stupidity.

In an interview with the New York Times, Boyega was asked how backlash over his casting made him feel and the young man doesn’t seem the least bothered by the controversy judging from his answer. “It made me feel fine. I’m grounded in who I am, and I am a confident black man. A confident, Nigerian, black, chocolate man. I’m proud of my heritage, and no man can take that away from me. I wasn’t raised to fear people with a difference of opinion. They are merely victims of a disease in their mind. To get into a serious dialogue with people who judge a person based on the melanin in their skin? They’re stupid, and I’m not going to lose sleep over people. The presale tickets have gone through the roof — their agenda has failed. Miserably.”

And he’s not kidding. As of November 20, the film had already done $50 million in pre-sales and there are projections the film will break all-time box office records. Still, Boyega says Hollywood needs to do a better job of representing folks of different backgrounds in their movies. “It’s Hollywood’s fault, for letting this get so far, that when a black person or a female, or someone from a different cultural group is cast in a movie, we have to have debates as to whether they’re placed there just to meet a [quota]. I also understand, on the flip side, where these other mentalities will arise. ‘He’s just placed there for political correctness.’ I don’t hear you guys saying that when Brad Pitt is there. When Tom Cruise is there. Hell, when Shia LaBeouf is there, you guys ain’t saying that. That is just blatant racism.

Boyega has a point, and is handling the entire ordeal with an in your face gracefulness that should be applauded. Star Wars, also starring Lupita Nyong’o, is in theaters this Friday. Will you go see it?

1. Mike

December 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Hollywood doesn’t hire Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise because they are white, they hire them because they are superstars. No one complains about Will Smith casting either. He needs to chill

• Rockz

December 16, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Are the actors playing the other two lead characters ‘superstars’?

How come no one got mad at THEIR casting?

• Jason Herr König

December 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Cruise is white and still gets shit for casting himself as Jack Reacher; that point I can understand.

2. Oroku Saki

December 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM

You’re an actor dude, no one cares about your opinion. Earn your damn paycheck and do something about it rather than call everyone racist and just complain.

• Dump Truck

December 16, 2015 at 2:50 AM

From The Guardian UK (Oct. 2015):

“The release of the new Star Wars trailer has been met with excitement online except by a small faction of Twitter users who called for a boycott of the upcoming sequel, claiming it to be “anti-white propaganda”.

The hashtag #BoycottStarWarsVII was started after trolls were angry over the casting of black actor John Boyega, claiming the film was promoting “white genocide”. The same user also referred to director JJ Abrams as a “Jewish activist.”

Strange how you get angry at John Boyega for defending himself from racists, but you don’t get mad at the racists who want to boycott Star Wars cause there’s a black actor in one of the lead roles. Guess you won’t be seeing the film?

December 17, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Those mad white dumbfucks can go fuck themselves too.

I guess neither you nor “John” can read. I’m not upset that he is black. I’m upset because he is using his “15 minutes” to complain instead of actually trying to do something about it. His complaints to the media aren’t going to do shit to change what he is complaining about.

And neither is whoever is boycotting this for “promoting white genocide.” Both look fucking stupid IMO.

This lame-ass PC culture where people can’t just enjoy a fucking movie, nope, it has to have an agenda.

• Dump Truck

December 18, 2015 at 12:23 AM

1) “I’m not upset that he is black.”

Yeah, you are upset he’s black.

………..

2) “I’m upset because he is using his “15 minutes” to complain instead of actually trying to do something about it. ”

Bull crap.

December 18, 2015 at 4:01 AM

How is complaining about it helping to “combat the white supremecists…” Also, who was talking about the white supremecists?

I don’t give a fuck what color anyone is, I’m just sick of this PC fucking culture where everything offends “someone,” can’t call Christmas “Christmas” etc…

And, you can go fuck yourself too.

• Dump Truck

December 18, 2015 at 7:54 AM

1) “How is complaining about it helping to “combat the white supremecists”

He wasn’t “complaining” or whining like your hate tries to imply. Boyega was asked by a reporter to reply to the white supremacists boycotting his role in the movie, and he answered by proclaiming his pride in being black, the fact that ticket sales have proven the racists wrong about the public accepting a black lead in Star Wars, and he noted how white actors don’t have to face the racism that he does. He used his voice to counter the hate from the supremacists and haters like you.

……..

2) I challenged you to:

“Prove you’re not lying. Other than “complaining,” name 3 things Boyega can do to combat the white supremacists who are angry that he’s in Star Wars.”

^^^^ no response, huh? Wonder why? Because your original post WAS an attack on Boyega’s skin tone? Still waiting for you to answer your lie.

December 19, 2015 at 9:08 AM

Yep, everyone is always attacking someone’s skin color. Spin absolutely everything to support your agenda dipshit. You aren’t going to bait me into your bullshit.

• Dump Truck

December 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM

“You aren’t going to bait me into your bullshit”

Translation: you refuse to stand behind your own views.

December 20, 2015 at 5:58 AM

Nope same views, but not going to explain myself to some random dude on the internet. You don’t have to agree with me. I don’t care about your opinion.

• Dump Truck

December 20, 2015 at 7:05 AM

“but not going to explain myself to some random dude on the internet”

No need to now.
                      Your cowardly refusal to back your own posts, for the last 3 days, proves your original post was a racist attack on Boyega’s skin color.

You’ve shown that you’re just another racist/supremacist enraged over a black actor being used in Star Wars. BTW, Boyega had it right, racists like you couldn’t stop decent people from seeing the film. From the Los Angeles Times:

“J.J. Abrams’ highly anticipated take on George Lucas’ franchise collected an estimated $120.5 million in its first day, including $57 million for Thursday night preview shows, making it the highest single day on record, according to Walt Disney Co. The tally topped the previous record holder, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows — Part 2,” which grossed $91 million from its Thursday and Friday shows in July 2011. The film has already grossed more than $250 million worldwide.”

December 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM

haha, you claim your opinion of my post is “fact” because I refuse to play your games, that it is somehow “proof.” Wow, you must believe some pretty wild ideas then. You don’t require any proof at all it seems.

Yeah, I have shown I am racist, by not being racist at all… Is that more of this “proof” you claim? You definitely reach for the stars with your “facts.”

Refusal to superfluously defend my post on the most superfluous website on the internet means that I posted a “racist attack on Boyega’s skin color…” You are a pretty hilarious troll though, Ill give you that. But I know, in this day and age, just being white means being racist, while any non-whites can’t be, no matter how apparently racist they are.

You can keep replying to my posts if you want, but I will not be baited.

• Dump Truck

December 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Another 5,000 word essay without a reply to this:

December 22, 2015 at 3:52 AM

Yep, and that essay will continue. No need to explain myself to you. I don’t need to “prove” my opinion. You just need to get over it. If you would have read my original post correctly, I was referring to him complaining about Hollywood, not about the white people he angered just by getting a job.

• Dump Truck

December 22, 2015 at 7:03 AM

4 days of refusing to reply to this:

December 23, 2015 at 9:38 AM

4 days of not comprehending any of my replies

• Dump Truck

December 23, 2015 at 9:45 AM

5 days of deflection.
                      No problem, I’ll be here tomorrow for your eventual reply.

December 23, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Man, you must really be bored.

• Dump Truck

December 23, 2015 at 8:40 PM

Liars always pique my interest.

December 24, 2015 at 6:30 AM

What did i lie about?

• John

December 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Do you think he is taking advice from an obscure redneck troll such as yourself. Good luck!

December 17, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I don’t expect him to even read this article, let alone read the comments section. Dipshit.

• chunli1245

December 19, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Then what’s your point? Lol

December 20, 2015 at 5:59 AM

I posted my opinion. nothing more, nothing less. How is there a point to any of the comments on this site? Haha.

• Jason Herr König

December 21, 2015 at 12:03 PM

You’d probably have been better off in Tweeting your thoughts to Boyega. Not much he can do unfortunately…he’s playing the game like anyone else and needs to keep his agent financially satisfied.

December 21, 2015 at 3:48 PM

I don’t care enough to actually tweet to the guy.