It’s been a long time coming, but finally, Dr. Dre announces he will be dropping new music very soon.
No, we’re not talking about the mythological creature known as Detox, we’re talking about a real album that real people will get to hear. According to Dre himself, he was so inspired by the upcoming film Straight Outta Compton, he decided to secretly record some music and has actually completed an entire album.
In his first offering in over 15 years, Dre will drop Compton: A Soundtrack By Dr. Dre on Friday, August 7th. During a Beats1 radio show for Apple Music, the Hip Hop legend explained why he’s so excited about this project.
“I decided during principal photography [for the Straight Outta Compton movie] that I was leaving the set, coming to the studio, and I felt myself just so inspired by the movie that I started recording an album/ I started recording a soundtrack. I kept it under wraps, and now the album is finished. It’s an inspired-by album, it’s inspired by Straight Outta Compton. I’m really proud of this, I’m excited about it.”
So, with the excitement of this new album, it kind of makes you wonder what happened to Detox. Well, according to Dre, it just wasn’t very good.
“This is something you’re not gonna hear many artists say. The reason why ‘Detox’ didn’t come out is because I didn’t like it. It wasn’t good. The record, it just wasn’t good. I’ma keep it all the way 1000 with you. Seriously, I worked my ass off. I don’t think I did a good enough job, and I couldn’t do that to my fans, and I couldn’t do that to myself, to be perfectly honest with you. I just wasn’t feeling it. I’m ready this time [though], it’s really coming out. I’m so excited about it. I think everybody’s gonna really get into these records, man.”
As everyone eagerly awaits the arrival of Compton: A Soundtrack By Dr. Dre, here’s a little something to whet your appetite. The good Dr. dropped the track list for his new effort and it includes Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar and more.
Compton: A Soundtrack By Dr. Dre track listing…
2. Talk About It (feat. King Mez & Justus)
3. Genocide (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay)
4. It’s All On Me (feat. Justus & BJ the Chicago Kid)
5. All In a Day’s Work (feat. Anderson Paak & Marsha Ambrosius)
6. Darkside/Gone (feat. King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius & Kendrick Lamar)
7. Loose Cannons (feat. Xzibit & COLD 187um)
8. Issues (feat. Ice Cube & Anderson Paak)
9. Deep Water (feat. Kendrick Lamar & Justus)
10. Jon Connor – One Shot One Kill (feat. Snoop Dogg)
11. The Game – Just Another Day (feat. Asia Bryant)
12. For the Love of Money (feat. Jill Scott & Jon Connor)
13. Satisfiction (feat. Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius & King Mez)
14. Animals (feat. Anderson Paak)
15. Medicine Man (feat. Eminem, Candice Pillay & Anderson Paak)
16. Talking To My Diary