Rachel Dolezal sat down with Today’s Matt Lauer and opened up about recent allegations that she lied about being Black. Here are five new things we learned about the former NAACP chapter president whose name has been trending world wide for the past several days.
1. Rachel began identifying herself as Black at age 5: “I was drawing self-portraits with the brown crayon instead of the peach crayon, and black curly hair.”
2. Rachel was surprised that her cover was blown. “The timing of it was a shock,” she said. “The timing was completely unexpected. I did feel that at some point I would need to address the complexity of my identity.”
3. Rachel was first identified by others by transracial: When Matt asked when did she start telling people she was Black, she responded, “I do take exception to that because it’s a little more complex than me identifying as black or answering a question of, are you black or white? I was actually identified when I was doing human rights work in North Idaho as first transracial and then when some of the opposition to some of the human rights work I was doing came forward, the next newspaper article identified me as a biracial woman. Then the next article when there were burglaries, they said this was happening to a Black woman. I didn’t correct them.”
4. Rachel does not put on blackface : “I certainly don’t stay out of the sun,” she said when asked if she’s done anything to make her complexion darker. “I also don’t put on blackface as a performance … I have a huge issue with blackface. This is not some freak ‘Birth of a Nation’ mockery blackface performance,” she said. “This is on a very real, connected level. How I’ve had to go there with the experience, not just a visible representation, but with the experience.”
5. Rachel says calling her Black friend, Albert Wilkerson, her father, was not done to “enhance her resume” as an African American woman. “We connected on an intimate level as family,” she said. “Albert Wilkerson is my dad. Any man can be a father. Not every man can be a dad.”
Click to see the entire interview:
Pages: 1 2
Tiffany Haddish’s Hilarious Speech At Model Chanel Iman’s Wedding
Tiffany Haddish is one helluva lively and colorful human; so it’s not exactly shocking that she turned what would be considered a traditional wedding speech into a whelp … Haddish speech.
Just one night before hilariously taking the stage at the Oscars alongside Maya Rudolph, the Girls Trip star delivered an epic speech at the wedding of model, Chanel Iman, and New York Giant star, Sterling Shepard.
Although giving a seemingly witty speech, she also made an appoint to talk about how special her relationship was with Chanel, whom she met on the set of Mad Families. “I knew you could take care of any man you decided to take care of and I’m glad you decided to take care of that one cause I can see his soul,” Tiffany said, according to Brides.com.
The actress continued, “I looked into his eyeballs when you brought him to the comedy club. That’s a good man….[To Sterling] You better worship the ground she walk on cause she’s got a gangster ass bitch that got her back. Sorry, pastor!”
Haddish then went on to give some important advice. “Make sure y’all have fun together,” she said. “I ain’t that old, but I’m old, but I ain’t that old. But I’ve seen things. From my observation, the relationships that last the longest are the relationships where you have fun. You are going to have your ups and your downs, but find time to have fun.”
According to Chanel, the two grew close on set, mainly because they wound up sharing a trailer together. “During filming, I didn’t have a trailer so she was kind enough to share hers with me,” Chanel told Brides.com. “So for a month, we were sharing a trailer and going over lines together. We laughed, we cried, we bonded. She’s like a big sister to me.”
Chanel and Sterling exchanged vows in front of their close family and friends on March 3 at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
Check out the video below for behind the scenes of the main event. (Courtesy: Brides.com)
NEWS5 days ago
You Ok, Sis? Tamar Braxton Shaves Off All Her Hair And Fans Are Worried
EXCLUSIVES7 days ago
Loni Love Wants To Get Real With Mo’Nique
EXCLUSIVES4 days ago
Exclusive: The Bullet Scars That Will Forever Haunt Sheryl Lee Ralph’s Son, Etienne Maurice
MUSIC7 days ago
Chris Brown Is Thoroughly Confused By Bow Wow’s “Emotional” Message
EXCLUSIVES7 days ago
Thanks, Instagram! Jada Pinkett-Smith Is Happy Hubby Will Has An Outlet For His Antics
NEWS6 days ago
Well, Dayum! Warriors Cancel Practice After Steph Curry’s Birthday Rager
EXCLUSIVES5 days ago
Ray J Says It’s “Smooth Sailing” After Hitting Rocky Patch With Wife Princess Love
MUSIC7 days ago
Shade & Shenanigans: ‘LHHATL’ Returns With Erica Mena Replacing Joseline + More Debauchery