Rachel Dolezal sat down with Today’s Matt Lauer and opened up about recent allegations that she lied about being Black. Here are five new things we learned about the former NAACP chapter president whose name has been trending world wide for the past several days.
1. Rachel began identifying herself as Black at age 5: “I was drawing self-portraits with the brown crayon instead of the peach crayon, and black curly hair.”
2. Rachel was surprised that her cover was blown. “The timing of it was a shock,” she said. “The timing was completely unexpected. I did feel that at some point I would need to address the complexity of my identity.”
3. Rachel was first identified by others by transracial: When Matt asked when did she start telling people she was Black, she responded, “I do take exception to that because it’s a little more complex than me identifying as black or answering a question of, are you black or white? I was actually identified when I was doing human rights work in North Idaho as first transracial and then when some of the opposition to some of the human rights work I was doing came forward, the next newspaper article identified me as a biracial woman. Then the next article when there were burglaries, they said this was happening to a Black woman. I didn’t correct them.”
4. Rachel does not put on blackface : “I certainly don’t stay out of the sun,” she said when asked if she’s done anything to make her complexion darker. “I also don’t put on blackface as a performance … I have a huge issue with blackface. This is not some freak ‘Birth of a Nation’ mockery blackface performance,” she said. “This is on a very real, connected level. How I’ve had to go there with the experience, not just a visible representation, but with the experience.”
5. Rachel says calling her Black friend, Albert Wilkerson, her father, was not done to “enhance her resume” as an African American woman. “We connected on an intimate level as family,” she said. “Albert Wilkerson is my dad. Any man can be a father. Not every man can be a dad.”
Click to see the entire interview:
Pages: 1 2
Hot Or Bothered: Fashion At The 2017 American Music Awards
The night music fans have been waiting for is finally here! The 45th American Music Awards went down right Sunday night at Microsoft Theater in L.A. and a host of your favorite stars hit the red carpet in some looks that were hot and some that had us bothered … let’s start with the hot!
The evening’s host Tracee Ellis Ross sparkled and shined in this burgundy sequined Stella McCartney gown. We’re sure her mother Diana Ross inspired this look.
Meanwhile her sister-in-law Ashlee Simpson Ross dazzled in a sparkly number by Christian Siriano.
And of, the evening’s Lifetime Achievement Award winner and honoree – Diana Ross proved why she’s a music and fashion icon in this black gown and hat.
Selena Gomez showed off her killer bod wearing a Coach leather minidress and brand new platinum hair.
Also killing it in an LBD – that’s leather black dress, was Ciara wearing Alexandre Vauthier Haute Couture. Ok Ciara!
Demi Lovato looked like a goddess in this black sheer strapless gown by Ester Abner.
And, Kelly Rowland gave us grecian vibes in this velvet gown with embellished bodice.
But the look that stole the show DJ Khaled’s son Asahd, looking super adorable in his tiny black suit and Gucci loafers that cost a whopping $275. That’s what we call winning at 1 year old.
But someone whose look was not winning … Nick Cannon. We’re not sure why he was dressed like a Bratz doll, but he needs to stop.
Sadly we also have to request that whoever dressed Pink in this awful tulle Monique Lhuillier dress be fired immediately. Sorry we love you Pink but this dress was a hot damn mess.
(Photos courtesy of J. Merritt/Getty Images)
NEWS5 days ago
Eve Responds To Nicki Minaj’s Paper Magazine Cover: “I Just Don’t Think It’s Right.”
NEWS6 days ago
Teyana Taylor, Iman Shumpert Land Reality Show! See The Adorable Promo!
NEWS4 days ago
Nicki Minaj Makes IG History With Seductive Paper Magazine Cover Photo
NEWS5 days ago
Serena Williams And Alexis Ohanian Set To Wed This Weekend
NEWS4 days ago
New Signs Toni Braxton And Birdman Are Probably Totally Hitched
NEWS5 days ago
Eniko Hart Reportedly In Labor
MUSIC6 days ago
Jay Z Schools National Anthem Protest Critics: “It’s Not About The Flag, It’s About Justice”
MUSIC5 days ago
Nicki Has ‘Minaj À Trois’ On The Cover Of Paper Magazine