Adrian Peterson was just hit with a double whammy! Not only has the Minnesota Vikings player officially been suspended for the remainder of the 2014 season, but the NFL star also won’t be getting a check.
On Tuesday morning, the NFL confirmed that Peterson, who was indicted in September on a felony charge of injury to a child, will not be considered for reinstatement before April 15, 2015. In a statement released by the league, they cited “an incident of abusive discipline that he inflicted on his four-year-old son.”
“The timing of your potential reinstatement will be based on the results of the counseling and treatment program set forth in this decision,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter. “Under this two-step approach, the precise length of the suspension will depend on your actions. We are prepared to put in place a program that can help you to succeed, but no program can succeed without your genuine and continuing engagement.”
In response, the Vikings said in a statement:
“We respect the league’s decision and will have no further comment at this time.”
Peterson, who is being accused of hitting his son with a wooden switch back in May, landed on the exempt/commissioner’s permission list in September. The 29-year-old was initially kept off the field with pay. Earlier this month, Peterson pleaded no contest do to misdemeanor reckless assault this month.
Adrian has yet comment on the NFL’s latest ruling.