Kanye West At His Finest: The Top 5 Craziest Quotes From GQ Interview
One thing we can always expect from a Kanye West interview is appreciable entertainment … with that comes ‘wtf’ moments, ‘aha’ moments and ‘that’s so Kanye’ moments. During a recent interview with GQ, the rapper, who graces the cover of the publication’s August issue, talked about several topics, including his marriage, music, unions and … blowfish.
Take a look at some of the top five favorite quotes from the interview, including comparing Kim Kardashian to a dinosaur.
1. GQ: Does that kind of mockery feel like an effort to de-fang you?
Kanye: But also, there’s no fangs. I don’t have fangs. I’m a porcupine. I’m a blowfish. Like, I’m a—what’s the fish that blows up? GQ: A blowfish?
Kanye: Yeah. I’m a blowfish. I’m not a shark, I’m a blowfish. So that perfect example about me hitting my head, it’s like a blowfish. I wasn’t coming out of my house going to a paparazzi’s house to attack them. I’m defending my family in front of my own house. I’m defending my name as someone’s screaming something negative at me. That’s a blowfish.
2. GQ: Then they say you gave a forty-five-minute toast to yourself [during the wedding.]
Kanye: And what I talked about in it was the idea of celebrity, and celebrities being treated like blacks were in the ’60s, having no rights, and the fact that people can slander your name. I said that in the toast.
3. GQ: Why’d you decide to get married?
Kanye: Saying “Hey, I like Kim” isn’t as inspiring to people as us getting married … Like they said in Step Brothers: Never lose your dinosaur. This is the ultimate example of a person never losing his dinosaur. Meaning that even as I grew in cultural awareness and respect and was put higher in the class system in some way for being this musician, I never lost my dinosaur.
4. GQ: In 2010 you put out My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, released a new record every Friday, you were on Twitter all the time, you were still blogging at that point… You lived a whole year in public.
Yeah. GQ: But you fell back from that.
Kanye West: Both me and Kim had to learn how to communicate as a team. These are two LeBrons, you know? Meaning she could do shit that a girlfriend in a relationship could never do. Obviously. And I could do stuff that a guy in a relationship could never do.
5. GQ: But does happiness arrive at the end of that rainbow? I think people genuinely wonder that. Kanye: But what makes me happy is land, and we’re on a boat now. This is Christopher Columbus. This is uncharted waters we’re on. We’d be super happy to be on land, and also a little bit like, ‘Ah, the journey’s over!’