Lupita Nyong’o To Replace Halle Berry In X-Men Franchise?

A Virginia Beach native is calling for Twentieth Century Fox to replace Halle Berry with Lupita Nyong’o in future X-Men films. Berry plays comic book heroine Storm in the blockbuster film franchise, but Jamie Broadnax says Berry needs to go.

Broadnax has launched an online petition to get the casting switch made.

“This is important because listening to the demands of your consumer base means more than your own personal casting choices. She has the accent, the look, and the acting chops to play Storm as the comic book intended,” Jamie writes. “Please kindly take this into consideration and respect the demand of Marvel consumers and fans of this amazing franchise. This petition was started based on the overwhelming responses to my tweet, ‘I volunteer as tribute to lead a social media charge to get Lupita cast as Storm!'”

So far, only a little over 600 people have signed the petition so we find it doubtful Fox will flinch. That being said, do you think Lupita would be a good replacement for Halle?

1. deandre

March 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

lol hell no lupita is not attractive she might be a better actor than halle berry but lupita as storm is a big no

• Chickadee

March 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Ummm you must be blind. Lupita is gorgeous and she would definitely make a great storm. You must be white or a self hating black that doesn’t like dark skin. you’re entitled to your opinion but lets face it: Halle is way past her prime. She’s not like she used to be and she is not that great of an actress to begin with. She had some great movies in which her acting was good but not great. She’s had her time to shine and now she has lost her buzz. She’s not black anyway. It’s about time that we get an actual black person to play the role. Sorry Halle it’s entertainment NEXT.

• JJ

March 12, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Lupita is not cute. And she is no where close to Halle Berrys fame, stature, and damn sure beauty. Halle Berry as storm all the way!

March 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Just because someone is beautiful does NOT make them a good actress for every role. I am a black woman, and Halle Berry received a TOKEN Oscar that she did not deserve. I love Halle Berry, and I think she’s gorgeous and her movies are “fun”. However, I was super pissed when they named her as Storm. Storm? The goddess that possesses a quiet wisdom? Sorry folks, Halle Berry made NO sense in the first place. At the same time, I don’t understand why this woman should take her place. This whole idea is riddled with bullshit. Basically, folks are saying “Well, we have a black actress who is a GOOD actress, so she must oust the “bad” black actress that has been a part of the franchise from the beginning”.
          That makes no damn sense. If Halle Berry did not want to play Storm, that would be a different animal. But face it X-men fans, we’re stuck with her–but, she is getting older so it’s possible that she might play the role a little better. I just don’t imagine Storm with her high, girlish voice.

• Juan Alejos

March 12, 2014 at 1:38 PM

but given the lines and the things she does in the movies, she doesnt come as a goddess that possesses a quiet wisdom…storm in the comics isnt the one from the movies…halle has nothing to do with the acting she was told to for the movie…dont blame her blame the persons who wrote her lines and her parts in the movie

March 12, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I’d agree with you and all, but the lines were fine (well, maybe just alright), and what are you saying–we shouldn’t blame actors for bad acting? And Halle Berry, and I quote: “has nothing to do with the acting she was told to for the movie”? Really? I’m sorry, sir, but, yes, we do and we should. She’s a big name. They didn’t give a damn.

Wolverine: Magneto’s right: there is a war coming. Are you sure you’re on the right side?
              Storm: At least I’ve chosen a side. (Could have been spoken like a woman instead of a child trying to convince the big guy to join up)

Her voice is just not right for the part. Storm does not come off like a goddess, but she should. Storm does not have quiet wisdom, but she SHOULD.

Prof. Charles Xavier: [chuckles] Storm, I hadn’t thought of you as my student for years. In fact, I thought that, perhaps, you might take my place some day.

Really Professor? Why? Because she has…wait, no she is supposed to have something that is not apparent–on screen at least. She is no more special than any of the others and she is supposed to be. She isn’t self-actualized in the slightest, and she is SUPPOSED to be. Even in the movies, Prof. X clearly sees her as she was meant to be portrayed, but she falls short. You got caught in the trap, my friend.

I wonder how many people identify with her as Storm. When I see Patrick Stewart, I am not aware that he is Patrick Stewart, I think I’m watching Professor X. When I see Storm, I see Halle Berry. I never said she could NOT act, but she wasn’t right for this role.

• Juan Alejos

March 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

i get what you are talking and its true…i never cared for halle berry nor storm so i never noticed her bad acting… do you thing lupita is a good replacment for her? maybe in the 1970 timeline she could be introduced and finally make her justice? for me i i would use another actress

March 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I wish there could be a replacement, but Halle Berry is attached to the franchise and I think we’re stuck with her. But I did say earlier that maybe because she is getting older she might bring some more maturity to her part in future releases. I think Lupita would be fine for a younger storm and all, but there are other actresses that can do it–even no-names. I think Lupita is very talented, but I am not on the” Lupita-should-replace-Halle-Berry” train at all. Lupita is an actress in her OWN right, and she doesn’t need to “replace” anyone.
                  Thanks for the stimulating conversation though. I know this isn’t Chaucer or anything, but I like that I can post opinions and stuff.

😀

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I suspect in another movie or two, they’ll either reboot the “present-day” or introduce younger versions of characters like Storm anyhow.

In the prequel series, they might as well cast Lupita as “young Storm.”

April 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Karla Mosely all the way

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM

So, you’re saying that even if she does a bad job, we should just resign ourselves to nobody but Halle playing the role because it’s mean or racist to replace her?

March 14, 2014 at 1:04 AM

No, but it’s seriously unrealistic to think that Halle Berry can be replaced. Why in the world would they do it? Re: racism–I don’t think that replacing Halle Berry with another black actress would be racist. I think that it’s ridiculous to subscribe to the idea that we now have a Good Black Actress and must now put her in slots other not so good black actresses have. I honestly don’t give a shit about this anymore. Replace her, we don’t need no stinking Halle Berry… signing off, I’m exhausted ( literally and figuratively).

• deandre

March 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM

and you must be a woman if you think lupita is better looking. If you ask 10 men (regardless of race since people like you seem to love bringing race into everything) 9/10 would choose halle no doubt about it. Halle is still gorgeous, don’t be a bitter jealous woman. You sound ridiculous trying to bring halle’s beauty down. Are you stupid? Halle is black, she’s half which makes her black. Obama is half black yet everyone calls him black. Halle just made the sexiest women bikini body list. Sorry but lupita is not attractive and i love dark skin women. There’s plenty of dark skinned celebrities that look 10 times better than her. Regardless, halle is still going to be storm whether you cry about it or not.

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I doubt they would. Reportedly Halle is crazy as a bag of bipolar cats.

• deandre

March 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I just asked a couple of my co workers at work and all of them said halle and one of them asked why would i even compare lupita to halle? The truth hurts. She might be crazy but she’s one sexy ass crazy chick.

2. J. Marie

March 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Hell yes! Sorry Deandre you must be blind, Lupita is a beautiful black woman, Storm is a dark skinned woman in the comics and cartoon and that’s the type of woman we need to see in the movie.

• Volomon

May 27, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Thank you. Halle looks NOTHING like Storm. I expect Thor to be a blonde man and I expect Strom to be a black woman. Not a beige woman with a boy haircut.

• Slim

June 15, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Lupita has A boy haic cut shoot her fade is better than mine.

• Volomon

June 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM

She could wear a wig ‘genius’. Besides, I feel they should get a different black woman all together.

• Wrecking Ball

June 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

A wig and get a boob job. Why change her in Africa theis light And. Dark skin I judt like weomen to look like weomen .

• Wrecking Ball

June 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM

What is a wig hmmm never heard of one get the Sarcasum

3. Jezebell8

March 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Halle has been Storm from the beginning. I guess the Director/Producer want Lupita became she is hot now and younger. This is wrong on so many levels.

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Why? Should they cling to actors who have aged out of the role? I don’t think they should get James Marsden or Famke Jansson back either.

April 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Famke ,and I think James should comr back bevausr X-3 just didnt do them justice amd in the comics Jean grey is still at the bottom of the Sea

4. jojo

March 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Absolutely, Lupita Lupita Lupita as Storm.

5. YessLupita as Storm

March 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Lupita will be amazing as storm, and they should definitely replace old halle Berry. Lupita will also bring in new fans to the Franchise which means big money for X man. Where Can I find this partiton so ill sign

6. Sunshine

March 11, 2014 at 7:44 PM

No way let’s keep Halle!

7. JJ

March 11, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Whoever thinks she should replace Halle Berry is sick.

8. Alex

March 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I love Lupita and I would love for her to be in x-men but I feel like they should keep the original storm but I would LOVE for her to be in the movie tho maybe just another role?… I’m sure she would be great as storm though z

• Volomon

May 27, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Halle doesn’t look like Storm. Halle in X-Men is like Jackie Chan playing Thor.

9. Cecily

March 12, 2014 at 4:47 AM

Lupita fans are stanning so hard . I love Lupita but will her worshipers start to replace every woc with her now? She’s the hot black actress now and she’s dark skinned. You know it’s because woc looking like Halle aren’t considered ‘black enough’ . Not here for this shit.

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Or perhaps because Halle DOESN’T look like a woman from Africa, her acting in X-Men is mediocre, and she’s getting too old for the role.

• Cecily

March 14, 2014 at 4:50 AM

you mean x-men is mediocre. Nice ageism too, because of course a woman should be fired because she isn’t 30 anymore. Using that logic Lupita doesn’t have so much time here to get a career, doesn’t she?

• Volomon

May 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM

What’s wrong with that. Hollywood is CONSTANTLY showing new young white women, but ONE, just ONE black woman makes it and you get upset!? You prick!

April 26, 2014 at 10:40 PM

To me all the X-Mens acting was mediocre ecxept Wolvetine it shouldve just called it Wolverine an X-Man tale or something.Hugh was the only one given a chance to shine.

• Osato

May 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

thats where I have to stop you, there are women who look like Halle Berry in Africa…Halle berry just doesnt look like storm

10. Ola

March 12, 2014 at 6:10 AM

l love lupita i love halle

• simmy5

March 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Me too. I don’t care either way.

• Volomon

May 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Man…….f**k Halle Berry. She doesn’t represent you.

11. It's Sick Really

March 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Lupita’s fans are so sickening. Typecasting her into roles just because she looks and sounds the part. She hasn’t even expressed interest and they want her in the movie! Yet everybody else are the “colorist” ones. They’ve been using her as a political tool, and she hasn’t even asked to be that. It’s disgusting to watch! Even trying to mention this to them will give you extreme backlash! Let the woman bask in her recent success in peace and stop trying to make her work!

April 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Right, the F@%k, on.

• Volomon

May 27, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Typecasting means playing the same character over and over again. She has only don ONE film. Besides, Storm is suppose to be black. Were you happy with a mixed woman represent a black woman?

12. chinatown

March 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Whoever put up this posting is stupid. Halle berry has spent a lifetime building a career. A nutcase called Jamie has posted this stupid message here which further makes me think its enough. Lupita or anybody else should never ever be compat=red to Halle berry as there is no reason to. Jamie Broadnax should stop this thing or else she has every reason to get a legal action from Halle Berrys side. An opinion is one thing. A petition which is worthless is another. STOP jamie broadnax. Enough

• Sosa

March 12, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Halle Berry is old

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:03 PM

She’s certainly getting too old for the role.

• deandre

March 14, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Still better than you>

• Malcolm Blank

March 16, 2014 at 5:30 AM

I would say Halley Berry is loosing popularity, because she shows no real signs of physically aging, despite your many post about her being old. She actually looks the exact same age she was when she took on the role 14 years ago, just a older looking wig. I mean check the media, they still (2013/20014) make songs about the beauty of this lady (Halley Berry)

• ReddKnave

April 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Speakin of wigs, is there a better way to deal with the white hair thing? Does anybody know if it would work to, like, cornrow Halle’s hair and just weave in white hair and style it any way they want? It seems like it would be better that way (with wind and other effects) and a better way to have longer hairstyles for the character… Thoughts???

April 11, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I Hate the seem to hack off a portion of her hair .I understand that about to be a huge timesht .didnt mean to throw shadtowadLupita but shes getting to. Angelina Jolie everyone seaking pf her beauty when I think shes all.right .But I see no beauty there .Exept for attackimg me ,calling me a racist. and an Assholekeeping me awakeall night you allright when uwanna be

March 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM

True her and Hugh Jackman are old.

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Your obsessive fanboying, including the claim that nobody can compare to her and that she should sue, is alarming.

March 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Really though

13. Crimsunviper

March 12, 2014 at 1:23 PM

STORM is a beautiful black woman like Halle berry.Not some manly looking beastly broad like Lupita whatever .A recast would be nessesary to do an Origin story But not Lupita she could play Bishops sister but for as for Storm if it aint broke dont fix it.

• Sosa

March 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM

lol y u mad? Calling someone a beast? Storm is African.Sad black people hate their own image unless it looks white. Loser

• deandre

March 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM

why are people always bringing race into this? Lupita is not attractive and it’s his and mines opinion. It isn’t because she’s dark skinned because there’s plenty of dark skinned women who are gorgeous. Lupita isn’t one of them imo. Stop being uneducated and trying to make everything a race issue when it isn’t. Halle Berry is beautful, not because she’s light skinned, it’s because she’s just simply beautiful.

March 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Highfive Lupita looks lika a man

• ReddKnave

April 9, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Arguing about beauty is stupid. Especially when it’s about race. What is beautiful to one person is ugly to the next. Everyone has their own opinions. Where people, like you, go wrong is not by stating their opinion, but by how you state it. Saying “She looks like a beast” or “Lupita is not attractive” is a surefire way to get unfavorable responses. “I don’t think she’s attractive” or “I don’t think she’s beautiful” is stating an honest opinion and not being an asshole. Calling an African beauty a beast is beyond reprehensible, it’s thoughtless and disgusting.

And just an aside, this issue can hardly be divorced from race with the insensitive comments people, including you, are making. Plenty of people feel passionately about the way that Black women are treated when it comes to standards of beauty, you’d have to be living under a rock not to be sensitive to an issue like this. You don’t think it’s strange that you find Halle, a black woman with European features, attractive (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but can’t see the beauty in Lupita, a black woman with African features? Not being attracted to her is one thing, but finding her unattractive is a little more telling of your mindset than you think.

Superheroes are representatives of the best (and beyond) of humankind. Storm herself, represents many things to many people. But for Black women, THE group she happens to be a part of btw, she represents the greatest thing. She represents Black women’s seat at the super-table, and with it, as a woman, the zenith of Black beauty. And expecting that she looks like a white Barbie with Black skin is insulting to Black and African women, who don’t look like that, but are beautiful in their own right. What’s funny is that you’re actually shocked at the responses you’re getting.

April 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Honey you contridict yourself .

• ReddKnave

April 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM

If what you meant was “contradict,” then find one and we’ll talk.

April 10, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Ok you act so great by calling OTJETJRS ASSholes?and racist thats two ,You also sate that atguing about ones besuty is Stupid you say Lupita Nyongo is not beautifull to you but ay the sametime you said she was beautiful
                I think Halle os a preety blac woman.Begote you talk abput my brsin not working its my damn phone

April 10, 2014 at 8:52 AM

You were being a STRAIGHTUP contridivctptary

March 20, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Now that was rude I called her a beast because she looks like a man to me .It wouldnt suprise me if Lupita did play Storm .I didnt. think halle was a perfecr fit I thought Angela Basset or Vivicafox maybe

March 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Yep, Storm is straight up African. Honestly, why is it that because someone is beautiful, they MUST be right for a part. I think Lupita is gorgeous anyway, so…

March 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Sex sells

April 11, 2014 at 7:21 PM

@reddknave:disqus

Never said she was fully African. In fact, no one has said this. Most people think Storm is American. Either way, Storm was an African priestess and looked like other fully African priestesses anyway. So if someone does say she’s completely African, I wouldn’t even argue. African + African American = African African-American. Ok.

• jaelle

March 12, 2014 at 4:54 PM

GET RID OF HALLE BERRY!!! Lupita would make an amazing storm!! To say she is a beast is another example of black self hatred. Halle is a diva and Lupita would be a welcome refreshment to the X Men franchise. Go Lupita!!!

March 20, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Go ummm Beyonce

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM

So a light-skinned woman like Halle is “a beautiful black woman,” and a lovely dark-skinned girl is a “beast”? What a racist attitude.

And it is broke, because she is generally considered to be one of the weakest links in the X-Men series. Her acting in them is mediocre at best, and she’s getting too old for the role anyway.

Not to mention that Storm is not African-American, but AFRICAN. She hails from Africa, like Lupita. So it logically follows that she should probably look like a black person from that region… LIKE LUPITA.

• Cecily

March 14, 2014 at 5:02 AM

you had never been in the huge immense CONTINENT that is AFRICA, don’t you? There are many african women who don’t look like Lupita, even from her region.

• neodymium

March 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Um…not everyone looks the same…there are just as many beautiful women in Africa like Lupita as there are ugly women.

March 20, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I have read the uncanny X-Men for years and Lupita is a no

• ReddKnave

April 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Yeah, actually, you are a racist, and you have a white-washed sense of beauty. Just because you let the idiot-box brainwash you and tell you what is “beautiful” doesn’t mean the rest of the world agrees with what you consider “realistic”. Here’s what’s realistic, the buzz on Lupita all over the net is mostly about her beauty, then her acting. Enough so, that it garnered this thread about her playing Storm. So thank God not everyone out there is as whitewashed when it comes to beauty as you, who only sees beauty in white skin and straight hair. And I don’t believe for a second that you’re African, and if you are you’re likely European-African, with serious grammar issues.

• Crimsin Viper

April 8, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Oh now with insults Blackmen know Beautifull when we see it Sorry not into Lupita. She looks like a man .Besides she just got one Oscar .
            Youre probably racist .

• Crimsin Viper

April 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Besides got my own mind

• ReddKnave

April 8, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Coming from some guy who referred to a woman as a beast I think if you dish it out, you should be able to take it. And like your grammar, your thought processes make no sense. Black men don’t have any better an “eye” for beauty than any other man on the planet. The more you talk, the less intelligent you sound.
                You’re right, though. You are fully entitled to your own opinion, and I never said you didn’t have your own mind, although that’s not saying much for it’s caliber. I’m the Anti-Racist, bet and believe.

• Crimsin Viper

April 9, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Coming from someone trying to play the racist card you should let her enjoy this time Lupita is hot rightnow but no Halle.Lupita has abuzz cut and Pecs get over it she looks just like her boyfriend face the truth .Not that your brain function has much too its Caliber either .I am tired of hearing how shes so beatiful Ive given my opinion deal with it or dont IDC!!!Halle is beautiful Naomi Cambell beautiful not Lupita just giving my realistic opinion.A buzzcut with pecs

• ReddKnave

April 9, 2014 at 12:45 AM

It’s hard to take you seriously with shit like “Not that your brain function has much too its Caliber either “…

I do hope Lupita continues to enjoy success.
                    I hope Halle continues to enjoy success.
                    I hope you enroll in a school.
                    I hope, one day, you grow to learn that calling women beasts is disgusting and atrocious.

And I hope you are reincarnated as a small-breasted African woman who looks just like Lupita.

April 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Oh honey Im so beyond caring .

• ReddKnave

April 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM

See, we agree on something.

• R&B

May 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM

LOL yall are funny. Both of you seem cool but I just died when I read your list of “hopes” when I got to the “I hope you enroll in a school” part. That was hilarious.

April 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Dunn pissed me off yet again I was up till 5 oclock thanx to you .Had to get up at 8 oclock so I HAD TO stay up all night to feed the troll.

• ReddKnave

April 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Though I agree with you about that idiots racist attitude, you’re wrong about her not being African American. Storm is not totally African, her Mother was African (Kenyan mystic), and her Father was African-American (New York photographer). So many Black actresses could be rationalized in this role. Though darker skin would be more in-keeping with the character.

April 9, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Just go smoke more mmmmm.

• ReddKnave

April 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM

moron

April 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Ho …. PLEASE

April 11, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Apparently your comment to me is awaiting moderation. Please read my response to your Storm is not fully African comment.

April 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Oh PLEASE GURL

April 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM

No racism here .

• Bill Kemp

March 14, 2014 at 7:20 AM

It’s broke!

I never really liked her as Storm, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t know enough about the other actress to make a judgment, but she does have the right look at the very least. That doesn’t mean she’s good for the role though.

• Malcolm Blank

March 16, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Sad thing is I bet you are black and yet do not understand the immensity of the stupidity in the comment you made. You say she is beastly and ugly because she is darker and from Africa. Physically, without a doubt this Lupita lady fits the Storm character. However, I cannot say she will portray the part any better because I have never seen her act and the part of Storm for the movies is not meant to be the strong, powerful, and amazing woman she is from the comics. This is the problem Halley faced once she actually did a little research on her character.

March 20, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Beastly because Lupita looks like a man .A Buzzcut And,Pecs

14. Sosa

March 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM

OMG YESSS! She’d make a great Storm. Plus the Storm character is African right? I don’t see a problem. Halle is not the only “black” actress in Hollywood people. Plus she is kinda boring. There are always gunna be Lupita haters but even better!

15. Wizz

March 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I don’t understand why some folks here are arguing about this dark skin vs light skin topic. For me Halle berry is a better fit for storm. Lupita is great but I can’t see her taking over storm just like that. I will say this one more time it’s Halle Berry that’s why. Plain and simple.

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Actually, since Storm is actually supposed to be FROM Africa, Lupita is a better physical fit. Halle is biracial African-American — she does not look like a woman from Africa.

Halle is not THAT great an actress that she is irreplaceable.

April 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I know Halle got it goin on .

16. R&B

March 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM

So what Storm is from Africa? Wolverine is Canadian and he’s supposed to be like 5’3 inches tall. Nightcrawler was German. Colossus is supposed to be Russian. NONE of these accents are present in the movie version. Whats up with the double standard?

• E.a. Solinas

March 13, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I suspect that people overlooked Hugh Jackman’s Americanish accent and tall height because he was simply brilliant and owned the role. And even for logistical reasons, I think he’ll have to bow out of the role soon.

Halle didn’t own the role. She was mediocre at best, kind of embarrassing at worst.

• R&B

March 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM

First off Hugh Jackman is one of my favorite actors and I agree that he did a brilliant job. But as an actor myself I have to defend Ms. Berry too. It simply has to be on the page/ meaning the role isn’t written as the Storm we all have come to love through the years. They seem to fit in the compassionate side of her but there is no aggression. Storm was VERY dramatic, probably overly dramatic. People always accuse Halle of overacting and pushing too hard. I would think that would be a perfect problem to have for such a melodramatic character. But from the 1st film all the way to the 3rd, I always felt like the problem was in the lack of development for the character as well as the lines/ situations she was in. For me the mistep, if any, was always in those issues. Hugh Jackman was given A LOT to work with in order to take on Wolvie. Halle Berry wasn’t. Just my opinion.

March 14, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Her acting was wooden. Storm is dramatic in a way where you stand to attention because some shiz is about to go down. I don’t give a Damn when Halle’s eyes glaze over.

March 14, 2014 at 1:15 AM

My bad. I’m tired. I just reread your post. I understand where you’re coming from, but as actor on stage for over 20 years, I’m not impressed with her interpretation on the character and she is unable to move me at all.

• Malcolm Blank

March 16, 2014 at 5:09 AM

You really don’t get it, because what he clearly is saying is that replacing the actress would only mean placing another actress in the same role that has been reduced to mediocrity. The scripting for Storm was written incorrectly. Moreover, despite popular belief Storm is not dramatic. This belief that she is dramatic stemmed from the 90s cartoon where they made her more dramatic by giving her long drawn out speeches about how she uses her powers, but her comic book character does not do that. I suspect the only reason it was done in the cartoon is because the actress voicing over Storm had a theatrical British accent (it wasn’t even African). Having said that characters change depending on the writers, so for Fox and Singer, Storm is just how they want her to be, watered down so she does not out shine Wolverine.

March 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM

No, I am a blathering idiot.
                I’m really done after this. I already said screw it, but I feel I should respond in kind. Storm has a quiet, goddess like quality, but when she is pissed, watch the funk out. That’s in the comics as well. Sure, she had her speeches in the cartoons; I’m 34 years old…I watched it when I was a kid because of the comics. Oh God, and how many different comics and universes do the x-men star in? I will say her part was shit, but can someone name a movie ( I’m not saying this is an impossible feat, and please don’t stay monsters ball– have you ever seen the glam cover for that movie? ridiculous) where Halle Berry did some really good acting? They wanted her, Famke, and Rebecca because they are all beautiful… but famke and rebecca are fine. We all have our opinions. I’m gonna keep mine. LAST POST ( because I really could give two shits about this… I feel like I’m wasting my time, have fun :-))

• R&B

March 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Sure- Losing Isaiah. Things We Lost in The Fire, Boomerang, Frankie and Alice was good to me, Their Eyes were Watching God, Introducing Dorothy Dandridge. The problem is that shes black, she looks like a Goddess and she doesn’t age. So you’ve got a woman, that’s exceedingly beautiful, black and almost in her 50’s but looks like shes 32 on a bad day=Not easy for casting. Sometimes you have to take what you get and try to work it out.

March 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM

You are absolutely right. Sometimes I get caught up with the hype and I really “forgot her when…” She certainly wasn’t glamorous in Do the Right Thing. She’s a good actress. I do not think she is at all a good fit for storm though. I’ll stand by that. She as chosen for her beauty and her name… not because she fit the part. What’s funny is that I had major surgery recently and these dumb pain killers have made me over talkative and catty as hell. I really do not like narcotics, never taken them really. Great discussion all the way round though. I’ve never really commented in the internet until I’ve been laid up. Thanks all around. (I remember actually liking B.A.P.S. when I was young– arguably one of the worst movies ever made, but I was entertained… dirty little secret)

March 24, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Beauty is Ororro beauty is the meaning of that name.Just thougjt I would add that

April 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I think Lupita is beautiful and talented. Frankly, her time would be wasted on this franchise (maybe).
                      I said earlier that I do not like Halle Berry as Storm. At ALL. I don’t feel the role is for her. However, it would be ridiculous to change it now.

April 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Well. Lile I have stated I didnt like Halle Berry as Storm at first until that second X-Men movie she hadreally cutloose with those tornadoes. IF IF There were Recast I say Katla Mosely she lools like Halle 2.0 .
                      Lupita lets not go there.

March 23, 2014 at 7:13 AM

I definatly agree

March 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I love this perspective.

• R&B

March 22, 2014 at 10:43 AM

True on all accounts

May 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Couldnt agree more .

• Sam

May 10, 2014 at 9:25 PM

You are right and this is very typical for Hollywood to have great roles for men and not women. And then want to replace the older women with younger ones but let the men keep aging. Sexist sexist sexist.

March 21, 2014 at 8:11 AM

That was good

• Volomon

May 27, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Hugh Jackman still looks like Wolverine. Storm could be played by a Jamaican, a Brazilian whatever, but she is suppose to have dark skin just like Wolverine is still played by a white man regardless of height.

• R&B

May 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Storm is not that dark. Google her right now and click “images”- So that’s that. Secondly, even if she was shades darker it wouldn’t matter- they aren’t real people.She’s of African descent (HALF African- I think many of you are ignorant of that) has blue eyes and long flowing white straight hair. (who the hell fits that description?) How can you take issue with a lack of physical attributes of some people/characters and not others? Why is it ok for Hugh Jackman to be 6’3 and not ok for Halle Berry to not have very dark skin. If you like Lupita better then that’s cool (I think she’s AWESOME) but no need to make up BS reasons of why she’s a better fit. Also- People keep talking about this “African Accent” Storm is not from Africa. She’s from New York and the woman who voiced her in the 90’s cartoon version was speaking in a dramatic British Accent

• Volomon

May 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Storm is not that dark!? Just googled and all the comic images are of a black woman.
          Funny when a new white starlet plays a role everyone is cool, but a soon as a true black woman is used, people like you slither fro the undergrowth.

• R&B

May 31, 2014 at 4:25 AM

No one has contested the fact that Storm is black. You argued that Halle Berry’s skin isn’t dark enough to play Storm without it distracting from the source contents depiction of the character. I disagree. That is all. #ALLHailQueenLupita

• Volomon

June 4, 2014 at 7:30 AM

My point is Halle has a blonde haired, blue eyed mother. She is only there to be the ‘acceptable’ black. Now, they have made her androgynous looking so her beauty doesn’t override the white female actresses.
              That is some horse shit!

• R&B

June 4, 2014 at 8:43 AM

#ICan’t. Okay Sir- Feel better.

17. Tonya231

March 14, 2014 at 11:04 AM

lmao this is not news. It’s not going to happen, end of story. “ooh look an internet petition!’ really? If that actually worked Justin Bieber would’ve played Tony Stark in Iron Man 3

March 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I completely agree. Sorry folks, you have no voice in Hollywood.

18. Mike

March 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Lupita is a great actress and really shouldn’t waste her time with crappy superhero movies.

19. Crimsunviper

March 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Win an Oscar and suddenly she is everywere she is a good role model maybe a good dresser for gay men lol.
    At least Whoopi Goldberg earned her status this is a girl who wasnt even heard of until she won an Oscar for doing nothing .
    IS THIS A JOKE???

20. tellinguaboutthischic

March 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Are some of you people on crack? Lupita is absolutely stunning. I guarantee u any modeling agency would pick her over Halle. All I hear is Halle is so beautiful. What is beautiful when u have no common sense. If she is so this and that…Why can’t she pull a billionaire or someone like Brad Pitt. Because men like that know it’s women world wide that make Halle look like crap on a stick. Instead she dates and have babies with men she have to support…lol. Halle had no forgiveness in her heart for her father. Will not talk to her own sister by her parents. Who stay mad at their only biological sister for yrs? Her life will always be rough and bumpy because she’s manipulative and evil.

March 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Strong opinions I do think well know Halle is beautiful.Oh youre talkin about that homewrecker Jolie well Angies no prize and have you noticed all the work shes had done sense Brad Pitt shes the sexiesy woman alive ? Angelina is just a plastic version of mother Teresa Brad wanted to be the good looking one in the relationship.Oh well to rach his own.

• Slim

June 15, 2014 at 10:05 AM

You think if you say it enough itll be true but to be honest Lupita looks like a man

21. tellinguaboutthischic

March 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM

They cut Halle out of every scene except for one. I heard she have one line. That should tell you something. Have anyone seen Maceo? That’s the real reason Oliver left her. He’s mad because baby looks totally black. Couldn’t believe it was his kid even though resembles him. He thought baby would resemble Nahla…lol. Damn…Halle have some strong black genes. Think I’m joking…Google Maceo.

March 23, 2014 at 12:02 AM

She was pregnant.

22. keef

March 22, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Would love to see her play Storm but not in an XMen movie. Her playing Storm in a Black Panther movie would be ridiculous!!!!

March 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Were like on Broadway???

23. Crimsunviper

March 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM

How about I start a petion for Medea to play Storm ??? Lol

24. Crimsin Viper

March 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Karla Mosley a young Storm she looks like a Young Halle

25. SLIM

April 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM

If theres a recast I still say Karla mosely

26. Geoffrey Kelly

April 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Are you under the impression that Halle Berry was a good choice for Storm from the beginning? lol Only reason Halle Berry got the part was because Angela Bassett turned it down.

• Bo Hanan

May 27, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Angela Basset would have been perfect.
      Storm is an African Queen. Halle sleepwalks through the role.
      Lupita would an be excellent choice to help get the character back on track.

27. SLIM

April 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Oh I would like to express im happy for halle for her upcoming movie,and Lupita Nyngo for being the most beautiful woman in the world even thogh I dont think she is pretty. But congradulations anyway.

28. Sam

May 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Ok why does she have to be replaced right now? Hugh Jackman (plays Wolverine) is about the same age (1 year younger than Halle). So why are the (“old”) women in this film (and others) being replaced by younger women but the men just keep getting older and that’s okay. This is so sexist.

• drhouse84

September 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Wolverine is a damn near immortal character so he was old when the women and men getting replaced were born which is why Hugh Jackman is still wolverine

29. Blade

May 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

OMG all I will say is Halle looked very cool in DOFP.

30. Darck Angel

May 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Anyone that doubted Halle should see the numbers

31. SLIM

June 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Thank god , Starwars will keep Lupita out of the X-Men there must be a god

32. SLIM

June 9, 2014 at 7:19 PM

I see the perfect one to replace Halle (Rochelle Aytes )I thought so every scince I saw her in a Tyler Perry film she could sell it with those eyes alone.

33. SLIM

June 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Sombody needs to start a petition against Channig Tatum as Gambit

34. Storm-xmen

September 14, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I see there’s a lot of haters but Halle do u I like u as storm u made it look so cool and to be a person I like as an actress and my favorite superhero makes you 10 times more cooler