MOVIES

Oscar Nominations: Lee Daniels’ The Butler, Mandela, Fruitvale Station Snubbed

On Thursday morning, the nominations for the 86th Annual Academy Awards were announced and there was one huge snub that shocked movie critics world wide … Lee Daniels’ The Butler.

Not only was the civil rights biopic not acknowledged for “best picture,” but the film’s actors were snubbed as well. Oprah Winfrey and Forest Whitaker, two actors who critics were sure would be nominated for their outstanding roles in the drama, were completely shut down by the Academy.

Among some of the other films that received no love, Michael B. Jordan’s Fruitvale Station and Idris Elba’s, Mandela.

“2013 turned out to be a great year in Black cinema, it faded away,” film critic, Shawn Edwards told HipHollywood. “Part of the reason why the movies got snubbed is because there’s not enough Black people voting, the ratio is still off. The majority of the voters don’t like Black films.”

Edwards, the pride and joy of Kansas City then posed this question. “How do you have the greatest year ever in Black film, but none of these movies got nominated?” (Of course with the exception of 12 Years a Slave)

The nine films nominated for best picture were: American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club, Gravity, Her, Nebraska, Philomena, 12 Years a Slave and The Wolf of Wall Street.

The Academy Awards will be hosted by Ellen DeGeneres and will air Sunday March 2, on ABC.

Sound off: Are you surprised with some of this years snubs?

1. guest

January 16, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Not a single nomination for Lee daniel’s The Butler…this is criminal..somebody please call the police!

2. April

January 16, 2014 at 9:32 AM

It’s time we stop focusing our attention on the Oscars and Golden Globes. Hollywood will always be this way. I never watch these shows. I mostly watch BBC or PBS shows because they are interesting. I probadly will move to UK one day and leave NYC behind. It’s nothing here to do anymore the cost of living is to expensive.

• MSDisqus

January 17, 2014 at 3:11 PM

The U.K. is just another white country that you will grow to dislike the same way you dislike NYC. I have lived there, I know.

3. 94912070

January 16, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Perhaps Daniels’ film was snubbed because the film’s plot (according to true life “Bulter” who worked for the Reagans) was a fabrication. Reagan was a serious advocate for black actors while he was the President of the Actors Guild. The inuendo of latent racism on the part of the Reagans was quite spurious.

• Jake

January 18, 2014 at 12:05 PM

The same Reagan that was “Pro-Apartheid”? The same Reagan that funneled crack into Black neighborhoods all over the US? Ohhh… Okay.

4. Nailz73235

January 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM

One of the reasons that The Butler was overlooked was because all the films that were nominated were superior to it, and the actors and actresses nominated delivered performances that were superior to those in The Butler.

• Patrick Walker

January 16, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Really, you have to be an idiot to believe Her,Captain Phillips and Wolf of WS were superior in any way to Butler…Try again

• Nailz73235

January 16, 2014 at 5:08 PM

The Wolf of Wall Street was the second-best film of 2013, right behind 12 Years a Slave. The Butler, in my view, doesn’t even crack the top 15 of 2013. Probably in the top 20, though.

• regina warren

January 17, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Why do WHITE people claim there’s no racism today but LOVE slave movies?! I’m just saying…….

• Nailz73235

January 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM

What’s the supposed connection between enjoying a film that chronicles slavery and holding a belief as regards racial superiority or inferiority?

• regina warren

January 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

You said it in your statement. What’s to ‘enjoy” about a slave movie? When you don’t have to think about the fact that it was YOUR ancestors being treated this way, than i guess you CAN enjoy a slave movie.

• Rjd12345

January 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Haven’t seen the Butler but Fruitvale was definitely better than any of those films

• regina warren

January 17, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Exactly and it made everybody leave the theater with something on their mind. Maybe they don’t like movies about black people that will make you think!!!

• regina warren

January 17, 2014 at 6:22 PM

YOUR opinion. Everybody has one.

5. Betty

January 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM

It is absolutely crazy that The Butler did not even get acknowledged. The “process” whatever it is…is fundamental broken or crazy!

6. wow

January 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I though the butler and fruitville station should have been acknowledged,

7. reality

January 16, 2014 at 3:05 PM

this is because no one gives a @#$% about her or her racebaiting trash she calls a movie. I guess this means the Oscars are racist? the old fallback, if things don’t go your way just holler racism…… please…… get a clue

8. Mammajack

January 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Reality what are you talking about? Those of us who have watched the evolution of Hollywood for over 60 years can tell you racism does exist in the Academy and in their selection process. The Butler was at least worthy of a nod to Forest Whitaker’s performance. And…. how many true stories get exagerated in film in order tomake them more interesting to the viewers? This ia really a statement of the times (political and ethical) we live in… it seems we are going backwards rather than forward towards racial acceptance and iintegrity.

• jack2211

January 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM

There’s absolutely racism in Hollywood.

But I still don’t think The Butler is a great movie.

9. Adrian Martinez

January 16, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Jonah Hill, 1. “the butler,” “Mandela,” and “fruitvale station” COMBINED, 0. yes, racism is alive and well in hollywood, and it will always be the case. But at least the WHITE house is Black. 😉

10. Chuck

January 16, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Why all the fuss over those movies that were snubbed by the Academy. Do you really take the Academy serious? It’s Hollywood for Gods sake. I watch the Oscars every year, only for the entertainment and see my favorite stars. I could care less what movies or actors win. Lighten up folks, far more serious issues in life to be concerned with. For the most part, the box office tells you who the winners are, right!

11. DeeDee

January 17, 2014 at 2:13 AM

I’m not a movie goer, however I stopped watching these award shows many years ago. Not only do they snubbed some good movies (white or black) the same is done to television shows.

12. Steven D

January 17, 2014 at 6:15 AM

The reason The Butler was not nominated was likely directly because of the ‘Oprah effect’. While powerful, the woman is also a self serving bully who puts herself first before all others. The perfectly timed shout out of ‘racism’ recently in Europe during Tina Turner’s wedding in a handbag shop was a little too much of Oprah’s bag of tired tricks.

It IS unfortunate because The Butler did have a certain historical value if with a particular slant to the lens.

• jack2211

January 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Personally, The Butler’s self-importance grated on me. I didn’t think it was a great movie — it was pretty corny.

It’s a fascinating topic for a better movie.

13. MSDisqus

January 17, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I am black, African born and raised as a matter of fact. I live in a place where I rarely see white people on a regular basis (it’s in the United States), so no, I’m not white, nor do I hate black people. But let me point out reasons why The Butler, Fruitvale, and Mandela (it was actually nominated for Achievement in Music: Original Song) were not nominated for Oscars, and I think it has nothing to do with racism but the actual films themselves.

First of all, Fruitvale Station- It was too short and most of the action was obviously fake, doctored up forcing us to conclude, “this guy was a good guy after all.” I say, show me everything that happened with Oscar Grant and let me judge myself whether he’s a good guy or not, don’t fake it; leave it up to me to decide.

Secondly, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom- Idris Elba doesn’t look like Nelson Mandela nor did he sound like him. If a movie is making a mockery, imitating a great leader, what makes you think they’ll nominate it? Didn’t they nominate Forest Whitaker for playing Idi Amin?

Which brings me to The Butler- It was a very very good film but not Academy Award worthy because the hero of the movie was a subservient black man. They don’t like that in the Academy. If the hero of the movie was his pro-black son, this movie would have been nominated.

If you’re claiming racism, I can remind you of black men who have won Oscars recently: Denzel Washington, Jamie Foxx, and Forest Whitaker himself. The roles they played were very very complex and demanded our attention. The Butler on the other hand disgusted me the way he acted, serving the white men as if he was put on earth to be a servant.

In Training Day, Denzel was a cool, charming, undercover detective and he mesmerized viewers with his smile, wit, and charisma. In Ray, Jamie Foxx did such a great job playing Ray Charles that some people thought he himself was blind. Now, Forest Whitaker, the role he played is near and dear to my heart. I was born in Uganda and was raised there. He played a president that my parents grew up with, so his role of Idi Amin was worthy of an Oscar because it was authentic. Even my mom said that Forest Whitaker looked JUST LIKE Idi Amin.

In summary, the Academy, although mostly old, male, and white, values authenticity and complexity. The Butler, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, and Fruitvale Station were great movies, but certainly not classic ones. Sorry guys.

• regina warren

January 17, 2014 at 6:17 PM

sorry but you are wrong. To defend the snub of these films which were all WIDELY viewed and applauded by a huge WHITE audience as well is ridiculous. If you look at the history of the roles and movies that the black actors played it is very stereotypical.FACT- The actors all played slaves, drug addicts, thugs or servants. As for YOUR opinion about Fruitvale, it DID show the good AND the bad of Oscar Grant. Didn’t you see the part about his stint in jail, him getting fired from his job for being late, him selling weed and cheating on his girlfriend? Do we really need another slave movie. Damn. On the one hand people tell black people all the time to get over slavery but then everytime you look up, there’s another slave movie.

• MSDisqus

January 18, 2014 at 4:02 PM

He didn’t sell weed, he poured it into the San Francisco Bay. He didn’t cheat on his girlfriend, it was alluded to. It was mediocre because some of the stuff it showed us was fake stuff that didn’t happen, like him patting that dog.

• regina warren

January 19, 2014 at 12:01 AM

The jail scene was REAL. He did time TWICE for selling weed and although they didn’t show him actually selling weed in the movie, people that know the REAL story, know that was what he was doing to make money after he got fired. The only fake thing was the dog but that was something that happened to the director’s brother while he was filming and he knew that Oscar loved pitbulls, so he used that scene as a nod to Oscar and as a metaphor for the bad rep pitbulls and black males share. If you think their wasn’t some FAKE stuff added to 12 years a slave, you are just being silly. All true life movieths add a little fiction. Don’t try to make it seem as if that never happens. Sorry if I’m over sensitive but Ryan(the director/writer) is my cousin and I’m damn proud of him and his movie!!!!!!!!!

• MSDisqus

January 19, 2014 at 8:04 AM

I know what Oscar Grant did from the news stories and other things. You probably know him better than I do, so I’m not arguing about who knows him better. The point is this: this movie didn’t show us enough. We are talking about the movie, not the life. A movie is very very limited. For example, let me illustrate this, Oscar Grant grant lived twenty two years and ten months, that’s roughly 200000 hours. A movie on the other hand is about 2 hours. So with the two hours the director needs to show the best of those 200000 hours to his viewers or what he thinks is best.

If I was the one who made Fruitvale Station, I would have had at least the scene when his daughter was born. At least show us that, because that was the main story in the movie, to me. When a movie is made about a person who was killed, they normally show the good and the bad and they show the struggle with nature, with society, with everything. This movie only showed us a little struggle (the Jail Scene) which was even flashback only. Other than that, they showed us good things that probably didn’t happen. Did he really help a girl with fish? Did he really help that pregnant lady get a bathroom?

If I was directing it, I could have shown him being taken away to prison and him realizing that he would be away from his daughter. I also could have showed him selling weed. I think the director was scared to reveal the bad side of Oscar Grant. Or maybe he didn’t have enough money to make a longer film. If he showed the bad side and and then showed how the character changed from those ways to start doing better, start being responsible, resolving to be there for his daughter, this movie would have been better and would have received nominations for many many awards. And it would have been a masterpiece.

As is, I liked the movie because it brought authenticity about Oakland and the people of that town. But it was too short and we who never knew Oscar Grant wanted to see more. I was very hurt and pretty angry that Oscar Grant was killed. However, that’s my politics and Fruitvale Station is a movie, so the two are different things. Just because I feel a certain way about an issue, doesn’t mean I have to be biased in how I judge a movie. As a matter of fact it makes me want a much better movie since I am opposed to guns and things like that.

• regina warren

January 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM

the ONLY scene that did not happen to Oscar was the dog scene but he did in fact help the lady in the store with the fish and the scene with the pregnant lady and the bathroom was true as well. Ryan did extensive research about Oscar and his last day.I hear what you are saying about what you think would have made it better but unfortunately Oscar’s life was cut short on the same day that he apparently finally came to those realization that he needed to make changes in his life. Ryan’s goal was never to glorify Oscar but he wanted to people to come away realizing that even though Oscar made bad choices, he was still had a good heart. He loved people and he had people in his life who loved him. Ryan was the same age as Oscar when this happened, and he grew up here and caught Bart all the time. He felt like this was something that could have happened to him or his younger brothers. Either way, we’re extremely proud of him. This film is a huge accomplishment for a 27 year old. It has thus far won 27 out of 32 awards. It’s been an awesome, unexpected ride. But thanks for sharing your opinion.

• Hef

January 18, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I have to disagree with you on A LOT that you said in your comment…. I don’t now you from a can of paint. but you stated that you are black, african born that rarely sees whites but said you don’t hate black people.. the fact that you had to mention that allows me to see how you think and how you feel about African Americans.. while you don’t hate “us” i’m sure you despise “us” you are disjusted that loud music and saggin pants and “think” that’s all blacks in America. You probably turn your nose up at black youth when you see them… I disgress… While Fruitvale Station may have not been the best film of the year, season or the week. Michael B. Jordan’s performance was stellar, he gave us Oscar Grant (RIP) that’s what the Academy wants right? They have portraits, portrayals of a moment in history or fantasy. The Academy should want that right? Theres no way that Michael B. didn’t receive any nominations at all for anything (SAG, GG) anything.. it’s disgusting… Second.. you just proved my point for me in your comment for Mandela.
      ” If a movie is making a mockery, imitating a great leader, what makes you
      think they’ll nominate it? Didn’t they nominate Forest Whitaker for
      playing Idi Amin?” How do you nominated a man portraying a Monster like Idi Amin but completely ignore a man that played a global leader like Nelson Mandela? You’re from African?! Cmon Now! Idris did a fantastic job and he was Nelson Mandela! So you think Morgan Freeman did better? Mandela was also shot wonderfully and didn’t get anything for that either.. Only a original music nomination for it?

I’m claiming racism… you mentioned Denzel Washington right? Winning for Training Day.. a movie where he was a villain! Where you claimed that he was “cool, charming, undercover detective and he mesmerized viewers with his smile, wit, and charisma.” Yet Denzel Washington was nominated but didn’t win for his roles in The Hurricane and Malcolm X. 2 TRUE STORIES WHERE HE PLAYED THE HERO! THE CHAMPION! But didn’t win.. but you’re happy he won his role as a villain! Him and Forrest Whitaker both won as villains!! What does that say?! Training Day shouldn’t have been Denzel’s first win the same way Monsters Ball shouldn’t have been Halle’s first either! Look at how the Academy awards the roles that are played by Blacks! Ever thought about that?!

Jamie Foxx in Ray, he was very deserving and he received the award as he should. But you’re saying that because Forrest looked like Idi Amin..he deserved to win? It has to be based on more!

Idris Alba should have been up for Best Leading Actor for Mandela!
      While Michael B. shouldn’t have been just because of the quality of actors up, he should have been given more than he got but the reason why? (America doesn’t care about young black males being killed by police)
      Don’t blame it on the quality of the film. How dare you! That’s the story of a man’s life.

In summary, you don’t know shit! And your disdain for Black Americans is oozing from your comment. Maybe you should watch and rewatch some films.

• MSDisqus

January 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Like I said, I live in America and I barely see white people, which means all I see are black people each and every day. I don’t dislike them at all, as a matter of fact I love them very much. Just because I love black people very much, doesn’t mean I should tolerate mediocre movies simply because they are made by black directors or feature black actors.

I was born in Uganda and I know more about Idi Amin than the average person in America does. He was not a monster; the white people painted him a monster. He is forever a national hero in Uganda. So please don’t judge someone you don’t know.

And you may whine that black people win for playing villains but look at other white actors who have also won for playing villains like Charlize Theron in Monster. It’s not about what the character does or doesn’t do it’s about a character who moves the viewers and wows them.

I took a film class which taught me how movies are made and how to judge the quality of a best actor winner and a best actress winner at the Academy Awards. It is not about race at all, so please forget that. It’s about film quality and my comments still stand. The movies were mediocre.

Just because I said the Mandela movie was mediocre doesn’t mean anything about the man, Nelson Mandela. Movies are movies; people are people.

• rrn

January 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, when you make the comment that THE BUTLER is not Oscar worthy because the main character is a subservient black man, you make your ignorance of the time period he lived in blatantly obvious. I think it is very easy, in fact far too easy, for us in this day & age where we get to speak & do as we see fit, to sit in judgement of the men & women who did what they could to make it through that turbulent time alive & with families intact. What do you know about fearing that every move you make may place not just you, but your family or community at risk? If you actually saw this movie, how could you watch what happened to his father at the very beginning & not understand why he behaved the way he did? Just keep in mind, my dear MsDisquis, it was on the backs of many of these subservient blacks that our freedom was built. They swallowed guff we couldn’t imagine so we would never have to. You should truly familiarize yourself to African American history before you make these kinds of statements. It was a true story that covered a broad scope of the black experience in America, showing just how long it took before anyone could be so bold as his son in the 60’s. It was a human experience that most black people older than 60 will tell you is true. Not only was it the truth, it was the truth told with honor & respect for the people it portrayed. For that, it should have been nominated, and yes, I do think they were snubbed.

• MSDisqus

January 19, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I think I know African American History a lot more than the average human being. I’m still learning more. So please, stop assuming.

The Academy does not nominate black men who are “serving” white people and I agree with them on that. We are MEN not servants.

Look at the black men they nominate: Denzel Washington for Flight. He was a pilot flying in the skies. Morgan Freeman for Invictus. He was playing Nelson Mandela. Will Smith for playing a homeless man who became a successful entrepreneur. Forest Whitaker for playing a revolutionary Ugandan President. Terrence Howard for playing an authentic Memphis rapper. Don Cheadle for playing a Rwandan who helped save lives in the Genocide. Jamie Foxx for playing Ray Charles. Will Smith for playing Muhammad Ali. Denzel Washington for playing an undercover detective taking drugs off the streets.

In that list of names, did you see a servant? I don’t think so. And don’t look at this year’s nomination of Chiwetel Ejiofor and say, “but they just…” because Chiwetel is playing a FREE man who was made a slave, which illustrates a MAJOR point in black history that we as Africans fell down to slavery after being Kings and powerful; slavery is not our origin!

In summary, yes, I saw the Butler. I believe the son was a better character than the father. In the Butler, the son even criticized a black actor who won an academy award for succumbing to stereotypes. The scene with Louis Gaines and Cecil sitting on a dining table having dinner and Gloria said they had watched In The Heat of the Night and Louis criticizes Sydney Poitier for winning an award only because he’s a fantasy of what white people want black men to be. So, if the movie itself is ridiculing that aspect, of nominating black men in fantasy roles, roles which don’t represent true black MEN (which they certainly got away from and don’t do anymore) why would the Academy nominate a Butler again? Ask yourself that.

• Lexie

January 21, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Okay, I’ve had enough. Your stereotyping, clearly snobbish, and entitled attitude tells me all I need to know about you. We were mistaken. Excuse us for not acknowledging your “superior knowledge” read that: GO TO HELL WITH THESE ESSAY REPLIES.

• MSDisqus

January 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I don’t have superior knowledge.

• MSDisqus

January 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Anyway, how am I snobbish when I say that Butlers and servants don’t get nominated for movies? I’m not even saying anything about anybody on this board. I’m just talking about the movies only. Oh well, I guess people will assume what they want to assume.

• Koh Smoger

January 29, 2014 at 6:38 PM

This not just any man but the president of the united states.

• Lexie

January 21, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Hell yes!! You better say everything I was thinking. I just seriously annoyed reading the comment you responded too but I feel some justification now. Thank you.

• Koh Smoger

January 29, 2014 at 6:31 PM

If this is racism than why did 12 years a slave get nominated for best picture, with other nominations as well. Its just not racism, although I do not understand why Gravity got nominated and the butler or fruit vale station didn’t. Perhaps they were simply not oscar worthy.

• Movie goer

January 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM

You’ve made excellent points. There are weaknesses in the Butler that would’ve resulted in the Oscar snub, besides some racist backlash. The son’s story would’ve made a stronger plot line. His life arc would’ve been much more interesting than the unchanging attitude of Forest’s character. But then again, our major actors wouldn’t gotten a chance for an Oscar nod, would they?

• MSDisqus

January 19, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I think David Oyelowo would have received a nomination had this movie been focused on that character.

• Frankie Eloi

January 19, 2014 at 9:31 AM

In the first place, Denzel Washington portrayed a crooked cop in “Training Day”. He wasn’t trying to be cool nor charming in that role. The only reason why Denzel won an Oscar in the first place other than him playing the bad guy, is because at the time, the Oscars felt like they “owed it to him” considering he was previously nominated for “Malcolm X” and “The Hurricane” (either one of which he really could’ve won for in the first place). With the exception of Jamie Foxx winning Best Actor as Ray Charles in “Ray”, look at what people see through Hollywood. Halle Berry winning for having sex with a white man (Monster’s Ball). Denzel Washington winning for playing a crooked cop (Training Day).

Exactly, how is it the Mandela movie making a mockery of Nelson Mandela himself? It is telling his biography after all. Idris Elba isn’t the only actor that portrayed as the great leader that didn’t look like him either. Morgan Freeman portrayed him in “Evictus” and he doesn’t look anything like Mandela.

Although 12 Years a Slave is deserving of the 9 categories they are nominated for, it really wasn’t fair that “The Butler”, “Fruitvale Station” & “Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom” were all snubbed from the Oscars. These were really groundbreaking critically acclaimed films that were ignored by the Oscars in favor of some of the movies people has never even seen advertised on TV. And you got the audacity to say that neither of the films aren’t considered classics?

And by the way, it is still racist. In spite of the few black celebrities that have one Oscars, they are still racist, especially when they ignored Oscar worthy black films.

• MSDisqus

January 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Oscars are not given because they “owe” it to someone. They are given for true quality. We can talk about this again and again but that’s the truth. Denzel Washington was charming to me and many people I know who have watched the film loved it.

The Mandela movie was okay but not as good as it should have been. Anybody who looks at the screen can tell that accent was faked. Even Some South Africans were disappointed in the choice of Idris Elba, which means the Academy will surely not nominate him. When Forest Whitaker played Idi Amin, my mom said he sounded and looked just like him. We are from Uganda, we know. Those people from South Africa said Idris wasn’t authentic, so that’s that.

Now let’s address your claim about the black actors who they give Oscars to. You excepted Jamie Foxx for some reason, but wasn’t he taking heroin and cheating on his wife with multiple women? How is that not worse than Denzel Washington’s character who was just doing his job (those undercover agents exist and are on the streets in urban neighborhoods)? Or Forest Whitaker, what’s wrong with his portrayal of Idi Amin? I mean, surely white people painted Amin in a negative light, but we Ugandans know the truth and he’s a national hero.

You have a biased opinion that those characters are bad. But all those characters are actually great characters who just responded to circumstances they were faced with, like when Leticia’s husband was executed in the electric chair and then her son died too. Don’t you realize that that’s reality? And so what she had sex with a white man? It’s not a white man but a MAN. When a woman has lost her husband and her son, she needs a MAN to be there for her. Forget the racism and appreciate the art.

Although Fruitvale Station, The Butler, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom were good movies, they fell short of being masterpieces. I’ll even take you way back to 1991 and show you an example of a great film, Boyz n the Hood. It was such a deep, layered movie that first time director John Singleton received two oscar nominations. If you look at that movie and then look at Fruitvale Station, The Butler, and Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, it’s not even close. Boyz is far superior.

I hope you read this last paragraph. The Academy consists of experts, not casual movie watchers, but experts. They know the craft very very well. I took a film class and learned how the films are judged, and trust me, the bars are set very high. You can’t just make a movie that some people like or even love and expect to get Oscar nominations. Look at Dallas Buyers Club, many people probably avoided it because it’s about AIDS, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that it is a masterpiece and received 6 oscar nominations. We need to stop it with the racism and move forward. Academy Awards are serious and only the best films get nominated.

• Opiophile

January 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM

There is always going to be racism when people refer to films as white and black films. This is not BET and CSPAN

14. Psye Lokke

January 17, 2014 at 6:47 PM

What I find intersting is there are a lot of posts claming racism was the reason for the snub. However the posts lack explaining why The Butler etc should have been given the nod over another film. If you think The Butler deserves to be on the list make a case for taking one of the current noms off and putting The Butler on. No way Fruitvale deserves to be on the list while the acting was great the cinematography wasnt and it was choppy at times. You dont get a best pic award unless everything is great. Whittaker may have deserved a nod as well as makeup for The Butler but Oprahs performance bordered on campy and unrealistic at times I couldnt get totally lost in the film. Again you wont get a best pic with the film having issues. The other thing is none of those summer releases made the list. The reason for a summer release os to get the $ but to many other films will follow making the awards lessn likely. Notice how a ton of the films that were nominated all came out after Oct which is when studios normally release films they hope will get major awatds. Whe you see a film coming out in the summer you can pretty much expect it wont be nominated 6 months later

15. Jude

January 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM

The Butler was brilliant. In a different category than a film like Gravity. ( when we left Gravity we were all angry and wanted our money back). The Butler was simply brilliant but maybe a bit too deep or real for some. But, it’s the Oscar’s. It’s political. End of story. That’s life

16. Liz

January 18, 2014 at 6:34 PM

The Oscars are a bunch elitists that do not appreciate important historical events. All they want to see is oppression of minorities, that’s my two cents.

• lighthalox

January 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I think the big problem with the Butler is they altered history to stir up more hate. The liberal way. Plus Oprah is a horrible actor. She’s terrible. Just because she’s “Oprah” doesn’t mean she has talent. If anyone is an elitist it would be her.

17. JJJ458

January 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Without a doubt, Lee Daniels’ The Butler was a fine movie with excellent performances by Forrest
    Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey in lead roles
    and fine performances by the supporting cast, which included Terrance Howard,
    Cuba Gooding, Jr. and David Oyelowo. It told a truly American story of a man working
    hard and creating a better life for his children and a very touching story of
    family love… It was well written by
    Danny Strong and well directed by Lee
    Daniels. Is that not the “stuff” Oscar
    wining movies are made of?

The Butler not being nominated for any award is a travesty of artistic justice. When such films as The Wolfe of Wall Street, while a great performance by Leonardo Di Caprio, is a film that celebrates greed, sexual promiscuity, drug abuse and hedonism in all of its forms is has 5 nominations, not that some of the nominations were not deserved. But I wonder if the director was not Martin Scorsese how well this film would have done? In addition, Gravity, other than its special
    effects, is a movie about nothing and in watching it I just wanted the film to be over because I did not care if the Sandra Bullock character ever got back to earth!!

With that said, I don’t know if you call it racism, or, is it just that interesting, complicated , and not a stereotypical –character- in- sight, movies about Black life in America is what SELLS. (checkout the interview on the Charlie Rose show, PBS, with Lee Daniels, Oprah Winfrey and Forest
    Whitaker­). After all you can not take the business out of the Show. The question is how is it done keeping artistic honesty?

This is a century’s old question as it pertains to Black
    entertainments, i.e. theater, film, and television.

• Helen

January 19, 2014 at 2:02 AM

I completely agree. I’ve seen a LOT of films this year and The Butler was hands down the best film I saw in 2013. A total travesty that it was not nominated a minimum of 3 acting categories (Forest Whittaker, Oprah and Terrence Howard) as well as Best Picture. I can’t believe that 2 films that haven’t even been released nationwide in the UK have been nominated instead of The Butler. Fuming.

18. budschory@hotmail.com

January 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM

WHEN the black president Obama falls in popularity the liberal Hollywood crowd can ignor “black” movies.

19. skw

January 20, 2014 at 5:06 AM

Why “The Butler”, Whitaker and Oprah did not get nominated for awards? First and foremost is the so-so plot unadorned with any new socio-political insight during the Civil Rights movement. Cecil, the lead character, is equally as tiresome, and there is little unique or interesting about him save his exceptionally long tour in the White House. Moreover, his personal interaction with U.S. Presidents does not infiltrate and satisfy the viewer’s curiosity, but to perhaps a minimal degree when he interacts with Jackie. In all, it is really difficult to believe that Cecil’s role at the White House, in any forms, swayed policy-making pre- and during the Civil Rights movement (a not-so-subtle hint that was poorly introduced).

Secondly, “the Oprah effect” was really hard to overcome this time. Oprah’s performance in “The Color Purple” (a far, far superior film, in my view) was fabulous because her character was extreme, vibrant, changeable, and gave her more latitude to act which are generally much better roles for Oscar contention.

Lastly, there was a hint of sarcasm to the film that played with and accentuated all the negative stereotypes of the U.S. Presidents – even Kennedy got a slam for his pill-taking. Also, the film was too fragmented – we were “stuck” in sixties decade, then somehow swept through time and our current presidency.

In closing, don’t expect to further impress Hollywood when the script suggests slavery and the deaths as a result of the Civil Rights movement be compared with the Holocaust . While both were distinctly evil and immoral,, there were fundamental differences in the treatment and regard for U.S. slaves vs Jewish slaves during the holocaust.

• Movie Watcher

January 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I agree with the majority of what you said here… I didn’t care for the movie. But what about Fruitvale Station?

20. mennem

January 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM

WAy cant people use the O word?no one wants to see Oprah in a movie

21. mennem

January 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM

When Howard Stern gets an Oscar-is when Oprah gets one

22. Anna in Reykjavík, Iceland

January 31, 2014 at 5:55 PM

This just shows me what white snobs in the Academy chooses. The Butler is a great film in my opinion, the actors great, the production and last but not least the make-up. Wow, I´ll never again will spend my nights here in Iceland waiting for ,,and the winner is…” Anna in Reykjavík

23. MW333

February 2, 2014 at 12:57 AM

One big reason The Butler and Fruitvale didn’t get nominated wasn’t racism, it was forgetism. One of these films was released last year and the other in the summer. If you check the major categories I think you will find nothing earlier than either Oct or Nov. Check for yourselves and see how many films prior to October had any nominations, and of those how many were technical. (Even those were a bit scarce). Hollywood is a “what have you done for me today” place, and sadly, that includes nominations.

24. Christina Henrichsen Whalen

February 18, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Since when in bloody hell does the Academy truly get it right? You’re either their sweetheart/flavour of the year, or not. Half the movies they give the Oscar to are total crap for many viewers (ala American Beauty-horrible and disturbing movie- saw it once, never again.) An Oscar nod does not an excellent movie make, or for that matter, a good actor/actress. In the list for best actor: where is Idris Elba?? He can take any of those nominees down (and Tom Hanks is superb, but Idris was better in Mandela.) I’m so glad I don’t base my fave movie choices on a lot of self-serving twits.

25. fcprods

March 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I am sure The Butler wasn’t in the running because the producers didn’t submit it, not because it was shut out. A film has to be submitted by the producers and fees paid for those submissions. I am sure they knew submitting the film would destroy the chances of 12 years a slave, and other films, from winning best picture. I don’t know what the reasoning was by those producers, but the Butler was heads and tales, for many reasons, the ONLY contender for best picture if it had been in the running.

26. Michelle Murray

April 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Those films weren’t campaigning as they were supposed to. That’s why they didn’t get nominated for nothing. So stop with raciest crap. I’m black and i’m tired of it.